Freshman Belle Hummel (22) makes contact with the ball at the game against Ball Sate on April 2, 2023, in Athens, Ohio. (Megan VanVlack | For The Post)

Softball: Ohio travels to Columbus to take on Ohio State

Ohio (19-14, 10-2 MAC) will be traveling to Columbus, Ohio, to take on Ohio State (21-11, 2-4 Big Ten) in the latter half of the home-and-home series. The Buckeyes took the last meeting between them with a score of 6-1. 

Game Information

Location: Buckeye Field (Columbus)

Time: April 4 at 6 p.m.

Live Stats can be followed here 

Meet the Opponent

Coach: Kelly Kovach Schoenly (11th season)

Statistical leaders 

Batting Average: Melina Wilkison (.421)

Runs: Wilkison (31)

Hits: Wilkison (45)

Doubles: Kami Kortokrax (11)

Triples: Wilkison (5)

Home Runs: Wilkison (6)

RBIs: Wilkison (30)

Wins: Allison Smith (11)

ERA: Smith (2.81)

Strikeouts: Smith (135)

Series History

The Buckeyes have historically controlled the series. They’ve won 11 of 13 matchups since 2012. The last matchup in Columbus was in 2019 when Ohio State won 4-3. The only time the Bobcats have beat the Buckeyes in Columbus was in 2018 when they won 7-0. 

Last year’s meeting in Athens saw Ohio State win 6-1. Ohio State was led by Meggie Otte and Wilkison, who found success at the plate. They both hit 2-for-3; Otte also hit a home run to claim the game. Expect both players to make some impact in Tuesday’s game. 

Additional Notes

This year will be the first matchup between Kelly Kovach Schoenly and Ohio head coach Jenna Hall. Hall was the assistant coach for Schonely at Ohio State for several seasons, four of which saw them lead Ohio State to NCAA Tournament appearances. 

Schoenly also spent six seasons at Miami before her current tenure at Ohio State. She succeeded with the RedHawks and won two MAC Tournaments in 2009 and 2012.

jc628121@ohio.edu