Luke Olson (30) follows through after a pitch against Miami at Bob Wren Stadium on April 14, 2023. | Photo by Ashley Beach for The Post

Baseball: What to know for Kent State

Mid-American Conference baseball has reached the home stretch of the 2023 season and after three months of play, there is a four way tie for first place in the conference with four weeks to go. Ohio is a part of the tie along with Kent State, Central Michigan and Ball State. 

Ohio will take on Kent State this weekend in a matchup that is sure to have major implications on the MAC standings. Ohio is on a hot streak in the conference with 10 wins in its last 12 conference games. However, Ohio was swept last weekend by a very good Indianna team and picked up a mid-week 7-2 win against Shawnee State on Tuesday. 

Kent State will be one of Ohio’s toughest tests in the MAC so far this season, here is all you need to know. 

Series Information 

Opponent: Kent State (28-12, 13-5 Mid-American Conference) 

Location: Olga Mural Field at Schoonover Stadium 

Dates and Times: April 28 at 1 p.m., April 29 at 3 p.m. and April 30 at 1 p.m. 

Live stats can be followed here

Meet the Opponent 

Head Coach: Jeff Duncan (tenth season)

Probable Starters 

Joe Whitman (5-1, 3.02 ERA)

Ben Cruikshank (5-1, 3.21 ERA)

Eric Chalus (3-1, 5.44 ERA)

Statistical Leaders 

ERA: Whitman (3.02 ERA)

Strikeouts: Whitman (69)

Batting Average: Aidan Longwell (.424)

Doubles: Michael McNamara, Longwell (14)

RBI: Longwell (57)

Walks: Kyle Jackson (35)

Home Runs: McNamara (9)

Series History

Ohio and Kent State have played 54 times since 2005 with Kent State edging out Ohio with 33 wins to Ohio’s 21. Most recently, the two played last year in Athens when Ohio was able to win three of four games in the series. In their last 10 matchups, Ohio has been able to take home seven wins.

Player to Watch

Cole Williams - Williams returned to the four spot in the lineup versus Shawnee State on Tuesday and put forth a two hit, three RBI performance. Williams also tallied a three hit performance in game one against Indiana and is arguably Ohio’s hottest hitter. Be sure to look out for Williams as the offense will need to tally some runs against one of the MAC’s best pitching staffs.

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu