Student Senate hears questions about campus safety at the Student Senate Town Hall meeting on March 29, 2023, in Ohio University's Walter Hall. (Megan VanVlack | For The Post)

Student Senate: Treasurer Robinson addresses aggravated menacing charge

Student Senate Treasurer Trinity Robinson spoke about recent media coverage of an incident involving her last semester at Student Senate’s meeting on Wednesday and noted a lack of procedures within Senate’s body for holding members accountable for concerns of conduct.

Robinson, who was found guilty of aggravated menacing in December, said Senate’s advisers, graduate adviser and Judicial Panel were notified immediately after the incident, and Senate’s leadership team promptly conducted an examination.

“We discovered that outside the processes I personally went through to be held accountable for my actions, we internally do not have anything that was a concern of conduct that holds Senate members accountable,” Robinson said.

Robinson cited the lack of accountability measures as an issue not just for Senate, but for all student organizations on campus, many of which Robinson said lack the level of advising or presence of governing roles that Senate has.

Robinson said that she respects all feedback from the student body about the incident, and maintains that she has done what she was elected to do within her position as treasurer.

“This situation, while it wasn’t ideal, it was not only a learning experience for me, but for our leadership team as well,” Robinson said. “Through it all, I have sworn by my duties within Student Senate and upheld all of my responsibilities as treasurer.”

Robinson, who is in the running for Student Senate President on the EMPOWER Ohio ticket, is still committed to her candidacy and her position as treasurer for the remainder of the semester.

Senate’s student speakout segment drew criticism toward the Women’s Affairs Commission’s “Safer Sacks,” which were handed out at the Women’s Affairs Commission’s tabling event on Monday.

The “Safer Sacks” contained condoms, dental dams, lubricant, scrunchies to prevent drinks from being spiked and information cards about the Plan C abortion pill.

Olivia Kaiser and Olivia Barnes, both freshmen majoring in business in the Honors Tutorial College, criticized “Safer Sacks” for presenting abortion as the only option, and neglecting to include information about resources available through the Pregnancy Resource Center.

“I’m urging you to provide more holistic and comprehensive resources … that actually help women to know their options so they can make an educated choice,” Kaiser said. “As women, we must empower each other and provide each other truly holistic information about safe sex.”

Vice President Luvina Cooley also discussed the trip eight Senate members took to Washington D.C. in March and said that members met with state and U.S.representatives to advocate for college students in Ohio.

The issues they advocated for included increased funding for universities in Ohio regarding physical and mental health resources, accessible menstrual products nationwide, increasing the number of hours and off-campus jobs available to international students, and safety on campus relating to gun violence and sexual assault.

Senate also moved to appoint Cynthia Jimenez as Environmental Affairs Vice Commissioner and Dillon Charbonneau as a College of Business Senator.

A resolution was passed to add the position of Senator of Accessibility and Accommodation to the list of roles encompassed by the Minority Affairs Commission.

Multiple resolutions were also passed concerning potential Senate purchases. Among the products were graduation stoles for members emeriti, totaling $203.88, office supplies, including blue books and sanitizing wipes, totaling $372.12, and office goods, including an electric kettle, coffee maker, coffee pods and compostable coffee and tea cups, totaling $294.89. 

@jack_solon

js573521@ohio.edu