Say 'thanks' with a handwritten card

In a growing digital age, a handwritten card from a friend or family member can have a lasting impact on the receiver. Whether it is a holiday, birthday or just a thank you card, many still believe handwritten and straight from the heart is common courtesy. Others believe it is a waste of time, as digital handwriting and text messages have taken the world by storm.

Psychology Today states that researchers found that handwritten gratitude boosts positive emotions and well-being for both the writer and the recipient. With handwritten notes showing clear benefits emotionally, the task of handwriting a stack of thank you cards after a celebration can be a daunting task. Additionally, many may view these stacks of cards as preventable waste that ends up in the trash. 

Kelly Ferguson, an assistant magazine media professor and the chair of the journalism scholarship committee, said she believes in the power of the handwritten note. Growing up in the South, she said she was taught old-fashioned manners and etiquette from a young age. As one of her jobs now is encouraging scholarship recipients to handwrite thank you cards to donors, she sees the job as the perfect fit for someone like her. 

“I feel like the handwritten artifact that you can hold and get in the mail kind of will make more of an impression on somebody, right?” said Ferguson. “Because we get a million texts, we get a million emails, but if you get a piece of mail in the mailbox, it’s just like, wow, it’s not just a piece of junk. I guess, I don’t know, it’s even more meaningful I think.”

Ferguson brought up a time in her life when her and her friends would write handwritten letters to one another before email took over. She also discussed the fun of purchasing colorful and cute stationary to decorate birthday and holiday cards for family and friends. 

Sarah Moore, an Ohio University alumna, works for a Christian organization called Cru where a part of her job is to write holiday cards to members near the end of the year. She handwrites each card to members and writes cards for special occasions like birthdays. 

Sarah recalls a time when a handwritten card meant a lot to her.

“My dad I remember for my 16th birthday, he got me four different ‘Happy 4th Birthday’ cards and hand wrote in all of them about like, each like four-year section of my life,” she said.

A memory like that is hard to forget, especially when a piece of that memory can be physically hand-held to this day. Many see handwritten notes and cards as a piece of history one can keep forever.

“I think valuing slowness is such a big value for me that I encourage for others,” said Moore. “We could take a beat to think more deeply about what we’re saying. By writing it out, I think our minds tend to be more like the work that we’re talking about.”

Claire Shelpman, a sophomore studying aviation and flight and management, had handwritten cards for their graduation party and for scholarships. Shelpman believes there is no occasion that is not appropriate for a handwritten card. 

“I think it’s nice to know that somebody took the time out of their day to actually write it,” they said. “I know I personally am a lot better at typing so, it’s just kind of nice to know that somebody cares enough to sit down and handwrite something and either get a card or do something like that for you.”

Shelpman emphasized the good feelings that come with a cute handwritten note or card from someone that truly cares.

During the age of texts, tweets and snaps, there is nothing quite like some love from a friend in handwritten form. A little artifact to keep meaningful words and memories intact and for anyone to look at and reminisce about the kindness that can come from some extra thought and time and a glitter gel pen. 

aj205621@ohio.ed

abbyjenks18