Underrated Artist: It is time to give Tove Lo a listen again

Many probably know Tove Lo’s most famous songs, “Habits (Stay High)” or “Talking Body,” from the height of coming-of-age pop music in 2014, but since then, people have essentially thrown her artistry under the rug. Breaking the mold of usual Top 40 pop singers, the Swedish singer-songwriter has forged her own path, unafraid to move outside her musical boundaries.

Lo’s attraction to weirdness in her music has stabilized her career, creating statement pieces through music that aren’t usually seen with a platform as big as the singer’s. For example, when “Talking Body” was released, music critics were appalled by the singer’s openness about her sexuality, especially evident within its explicit lyrics. Yet, this song was a turning point in her rise to fame and is now a staple amongst fans and her discography.

Beyond talking about sexuality, Lo has also been a continuous creator, dropping music that may not be appealing to all but has allowed the singer to grow and evolve into new genres. In particular, hyperpop was a genre that the singer dove head first into, thanks to the help of artists such as Charli XCX and SG Lewis. 

Three years after her debut, Lo was featured on Charli XCX’s “Out of My Head,” which was a sound change for both singers. At the same time, this song’s impact caused the singer to drop more revealing and disco-tech hits like 2017’s “disco t*ts” and “shivering gold” tracks that were sonic embodiments of the high from sensual pleasure.

The album that held these two songs, “BLUE LIPS (lady wood phase II),” is what has become one of Lo’s most iconic compilations within her catalog, a record all about rebirth, sensuality and pride in one’s identity and femininity. Unsurprisingly, an album full of empowering tracks and Lo’s lack of filter is now one of her most well-known, another sign of the singer’s willingness to give everything to her fans without hesitation.

In 2019, right before the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic, Lo dropped her fourth album, “Sunshine Kitty,” collaborating with artists across all genres from Doja Cat to Kylie Minogue. While it may not have been a standout, it was another example of the singer’s creativity, testing her vocal strength as well as her songwriting.

Even if the pandemic severely halted her career temporarily, Lo has since made a major comeback sonically. Starting in 2021, the singer began dropping a string of singles and remixes, including “Venus Fly Trap (Kito Remix)” with MARINA and “GIVE IT ALL UP” with Duran Duran. 

After creating more individual tracks, Lo was asked to write during this time for the second season of HBO’s “Euphoria,” writing “How Long,” which would become one of the future singles of her fifth album, “Dirt Femme.” The song pleased fans of the show, fitting in with its gritty aesthetic.

Following “How Long” came the first single off “Dirt Femme” later that year called “No One Dies From Love.” Integrating 1980s synths and electronic influences, the lead single was worlds apart from what Lo had made before, seeing a return to her pop roots that many fans had missed for years. Singing of a nasty heartbreak, the track served as the precursor to what was to come on the album, intentional and vulnerable.

Months later, “Dirt Femme” was finally released at the end of 2022; it was one of the best pop albums to come out, even if it was severely underrated or missed by critics. An album that saw Lo address a multitude of topics, from her eating disorder to her apprehension about becoming a mother in the future, it may be the singer’s most revealing body of work yet.

With hits like “True Romance,” “Attention Whore (feat. Channel Tres)” and “Call on Me (feat. SG Lewis),” Lo’s range was on full display, changing rapidly from different narratives and genres with ease. Now a current pop music trend, the singer was surprisingly able to pull off a club sound, using SG Lewis and Channel Tres to create songs that easily felt like you were on a dance floor during the 1980s.

Now in 2023, Lo is touring again worldwide after years of delay, reigniting her musical persona to appeal to the masses yet again. While some may have forgotten this pop star, it’s time to give her a listen again, especially for someone who countlessly has put their life and inner thoughts on display for years on end within their music.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu