Ohio outfielder Yasmine Logan (14) hits a two-out grandslam against Ball St. on Saturday April 4, 2023.

Softball: What to know for the MAC tournament

The Mid-American Conference Tournament is here as Ohio (30-21, 20-9 MAC) enters as the No. 2 seed. The double-elimination bracket will be filled with action and energy as four teams will look to punch their ticket into the 2023 NCAA Tournament.

Tournament Information

Miami (34-18, 21-8 MAC) finished the season first in the MAC, meaning that all MAC Tournament games will be held in Oxford, Ohio. This will be the fourth straight season that Miami has hosted.

The Bobcats finished their season with a 20-9 conference record, followed by Central Michigan (28-24, 18-11 MAC) and Ball State (27-24, 17-12 MAC). Akron (28-23, 16-13 MAC) missed the tournament by a single game. 

Schedule

May 11

Game 1: Ohio vs. Central Michigan at 1 p.m.

Game 2: Miami vs. Ball State at 3:30 p.m.

May 12

Game 3: game 1 loser vs. game 2 loser at 1 p.m.

Game 4: game 1 winner vs. game 2 winner at 3:30 p.m.

Game 5: game 3 winner vs game 4 loser at 6 p.m.

May 13

Game 6: game 4 winner vs game 5 winner at 3 p.m.

Game 7 (if necessary): if game 5 winner wins game 6. 

Regular Season Results and MAC Tournament History

Miami went 7-2 against the three other tournament teams during the regular season, including a sweep against Central Michigan. Miami has won six MAC titles throughout its history, including the last two tournaments.

Ohio went 5-4 in the regular season against the other teams in the field. Its sweep of Ball State is noteworthy, but it lost both series against Central Michigan and Miami two games to one. Ohio looks to win a fourth MAC title with its most recent in 2018.

Central Michigan performed the worst against the other teams, going 2-7 and being swept by Miami and Ball State. The Chippewas historically have one of the best softball programs in the MAC, claiming 14 MAC titles since 1982 and its most recent title in 2013. 

Ball State went 4-5 against the other teams, including getting swept by the Bobcats. The Cardinals have won three titles with 2015 being the last time they held the title. 

While Ohio was unable to obtain the No. 1 seed in the tournament, it is still one of the favorites entering the weekend. It won’t be easy as Miami has proved to be the toughest place to play in the most important games. However, Ohio has won seven of its last ten games and will look to keep the hot streak alive for a MAC championship trophy. 

Jc628121@ohio.edu

@JakeCollins_87