What We’re Watching: Best superhero movie ever or simple solution to superhero fatigue?

“Someday I’m going to make great machines that fly, and me and my friends are going to go flying together into the forever and beautiful sky. Lylla and Teefs and Floor and me. Rocket.” - Rocket Raccoon

Superhero movies have been a staple in theaters since the release of the first “Iron Man” film all the way back in 2008. Since then, there have been hundreds of projects piloted by Marvel to introduce every single hero who’s even had a single page in a comic book. One of the most popular trilogies to come out of Marvel Studios has been the "Guardians of the Galaxy" films and for good reason. 

In all three of the films, the combination of stylish cinematography, witty dialogue, palpable comedy and masterful storytelling have made those films iconic in the Marvel cinematic universe and have skyrocketed the characters to the top of charts for fans’ favorites. 

But what specifically is making the third installment rise above the first two, why is this newest film receiving the highest and most glowing reviews of the entire trilogy? Is it really that good? Or rather is it just a mediocre break from the disappointing projects released before? 

Short answer: yes.

I share the idea many fans have with this film, which is that “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” is what superhero films should be. Not every Marvel project needs to tie characters, events or timelines together. Sometimes, it’s enough to just have a good time. Even the director, James Gunn, agrees that the formula for superhero films is hard to work with. 

There’s a specific pattern that is present in all of them. Hero faced with an antagonist, heroes band together to defeat a villain. It’s formulaic, with very little room for expansion or exploration into new territory. 

That’s where James Gunn’s directing genius shines through.

He understands the format but he utilizes his own imaginative eye to shape the scenes we’re expecting to come up, like titular fight scenes. Without spoiling the film, there’s a scene towards the finale that is a big moment for the main guardians. Everyone’s fighting style is on full display, with smooth CGI and wacky camera angles that sways away from the typical left-to-right shooting style other films have used. The entire sequence is reminiscent of a dance, it’s fluid, encapsulating and intense with perfectly chosen music to accompany the action. 

That’s another aspect that has made the Guardians trilogy many people’s favorites as well: the perfect soundtrack. The choice of music across all three films has never disappointed, with stunning tracks all the way from Heart and Jackson 5 to Florence and the Machine and the Beastie Boys. The impeccable music brings a sense of nostalgia to older generations of Marvel fans and introduces classic pieces of lyrical art to younger fans. 

James Gunn’s incredible artistic choices have given those films so much heart and charm, whereas, according to many fans, other Marvel projects lack. It’s not enough to have a sufficient story and entertaining acting, an important aspect of making a good movie is being sure that your movie inspires emotion in the audience and sticks with them after it’s over. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” uses this to its benefit, in its compelling storyline of self-discovery and defining one’s purpose in spite of loss. 

It may be a typical superhero flick in some aspects, but it’s a breath of fresh air for new and returning fans alike. The raw emotion, comedy, and action smoothly combine for a truly beautiful viewing experience that will definitely be remembered for years. If you haven’t taken the time to go and see it in theaters, go as soon as you can. While watching this in a theater, you can feel the enjoyment and excitement in the audience, the environment is uplifting and eager. Unlike the previous Marvel productions feeling slow or too formulaic, James Gunn has managed to recreate the magic that reminds us all why we inherently keep coming back for superhero films, even if they are vast in number. 

Mia Ashby is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Mia by emailing her at ma237419@ohio.edu.