The public attends the Athens City Council meeting in Athens City Hall on Monday, February 3, 2020.

City Council discusses changes to zoning code

Athens City Council and the planning commission met Monday to discuss recommended changes to the temporary sign portion of the zoning code 

Director of Code Enforcement David Riggs emphasized the need to consistently update the code as time passes. There are currently feather flag banners that don’t necessarily align with the code, and it’s important to incorporate those into the code, he said.

“We have to keep up on the times, and as new signage comes about, we typically would need to look at our regulations and make changes to be able to administer those new types of signs,” Riggs said. 

New regulations to the code assert that all businesses can only have two signs each, which cannot exceed 50 square feet. However, in instances where there are multiple businesses on a shared property, each company can have a maximum of one sign. Political signs are not under this jurisdiction as long as it does not interfere with the city’s public right-of-way. 

The meeting adjourned with Riggs informing council he is open to making any new changes to the code, including concerns citizens may have, too. 

hs532921@ohio.edu

@singhania_h30