A photo collage of Bobcats and their beloved dads. Photos provided via Aanya Datta, Hanna Mielcarek and Emily Marlow.

Bobcats share their love for Dad

Father’s Day is right around the corner – Sunday, June 18. 

Three Bobcats share stories, experiences and love for their father figures just in time for the holiday.

Aanya Datta & her dad, Arup Datta

Aanya Datta, a senior studying psychology, has learned a lot from her father, Arup, a social impact entrepreneur. 

Datta grew up in Kolkata, India. With the support from her two parents, she is the first one in her family to go abroad for a college education.

“I got a lot of my drive and motivation to do that from my father,” Datta said. “He has been a very supportive and encouraging figure my whole life.”

Datta explains that even if the father-daughter duo disagree a lot, they always cherish their time together. In fact, Datta is saddened that Father’s Day 2023 is the first time she will not see her dad on the holiday.

“It's heartbreaking on another level,” Datta said. “I'm really really upset, but I think he's always always encouraged me to push the boundaries and to follow my dreams.”

During school, Datta and Arup are over 8,000 miles away. Datta lives in Athens, Ohio, while Arup resides in Kolkata. At any given moment, there is a 12 hour time zone difference between the two. She explained that the two have become good texters and often share voice memos to remain connected.

“Both of us are such passionate people,” Datta said. “It really makes our relationship very, very strong.”

Aanya
Aanya and her dad, Arup.

Hanna Mielcarek & her dad, David Mielcarek

Hanna Mielcarek, a junior studying wildlife biology and conservation, said that her dad, David, is accepting of her and everything she does.

David currently works at a financial company and enjoys golfing, grilling and doing yard work. When Mielcarek was asked to describe her dad, she said he is the epitome of a stereotypical dad.

Mielcarek’s favorite thing to do with her dad is to drive around in the car, listening to 80s music. 

“I find it so crazy because he knows every single lyric to every single song,” Mielcarek said.

As a busy college student, Mierlcarek makes time every day to chat with her dad on the phone, or send him a text. 

She looks forward to celebrating her dad with a surprise trip to Top Golf. 

“I'm hoping that this Father's Day, I can connect with him and hope that he understands how much I love him,” Mielcarek said.

Hanna
A throwback photo of Hanna and her dad, David.

Emily Marlow & her dad, Jerod Marlow

Emily Marlow, a senior studying communications, would describe her dad Jerod, an employee at a manufacturing plant, as compassionate, hard-working and relatable.

“My dad is my primary caregiver,” Marlow said. “He's the person who I grew up with because my parents are divorced.”

Marlow said that Jerod is a simple guy. They spend time together outdoors, fishing and kayaking. They also enjoy watching the Philadelphia Flyers and “Seinfeld” together.

Marlow recalled how difficult it was for Jerod to leave her at college after move-in.

“At like 10 o'clock at night, we were both still trying to find some reason for him to stay because neither one of us wanted to say goodbye,” Marlow said.

She also explained that, in many ways, the two watched each other grow up. 

“I'm a year older than he was we had me,” said Marlow. “So, when I think about how I’m growing up, I think the best way to sum it up is that we both have just gotten to see each other do that.”

Emily M.JPEG
Emily and her dad, Jerod.

ab532721@ohio.edu