Lately with Layne: Barbie is the movie of the summer

During an impressive opening weekend that surpassed predictions, "Barbie" brought in $155 million along with excited fans decked out in their best pink spirit. 

Greta Gerwig, the highly regarded director of the film, was crowned with the highest-grossing debut for a female. This movie was a win for women in every way — Gerwig deserves this success story. 

Margot Robbie, the star of the show, wasn’t the first choice for the casting of Barbie, but her performance wouldn’t have suggested that in any way, as Robbie elevated the experience for the viewers in terms of the real emotion she was able to deliver. 

Ryan Gosling, or “and Ken,” played his part just as strongly. The female empowerment theme of the movie left plenty of room for Ken to be hated, but the storyline had him play into a character that experienced growth in a comedic way. His desperation is something everyone could relate to a little bit. America Ferrera also deserves her fair share of praise for being a strong lead with several big scenes that made the movie what it was. Each of their performances, along with the other Barbies and Kens, were incredible and it’s showing in the box offices. 

Without giving away spoilers, "Barbie” is a story of finding purpose outside of the box one is placed in while navigating the world of relationships and friendships. Between adventures in the real world and self-discovery of power, Barbie and Ken’s relationship takes interesting turns all while the world around them changes. 

Not only was all of that a reason for the movie’s popularity, but the soundtrack left fans with a part of "Barbie" to keep once they left the theater. ‘Pink’ by Lizzo opened the movie with all of the perfect vibes of fun, girls, friendship and, of course, pink. Call it dumb, but Gosling’s "I’m Just Ken" has been on repeat since the movie ended. A tale of unrequited love — it’s basically a Taylor Swift song. 

The song that hit home the most was Billie Eilish’s "What Was I Made For" in a gut-wrenching story of finding purpose and happiness. I saved the best for last as "Barbie World" with Nicki Minaj, Ice Spice and Aqua is nothing short of iconic. They saved this song for the closing credits which is a quick turn of emotions from a sad ending scene to a more upbeat song. 

It has been so fun to see all of TikTok dancing to the songs while wearing Barbie-themed movie outfits. There are so many cute videos about fans’ favorite quotes and remakes of the slideshow from the ending scene. Overall, this movie is a must-see for everybody. The messages of self-perception and purpose along with the comedic relief and nostalgia made this the movie of the summer. 

Layne Rey is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.