Lately with Layne: Niche Spotify playlists are great for finding new music

Spotify is home to millions of niche playlists for whatever mood you’re in, genre you’re hyper-fixated on or vibe you’re looking for. My music taste changes just about every hour, so here are some oddly specific playlists in my current rotation. 

Say what you want about the show itself, but “The Summer I Turned Pretty” soundtrack is one of the best. The soundtrack could’ve been just as painfully cringey as the acting, but it instead adds a sense of maturity and a deeper understanding of the characters’ emotions. One of my favorite moments was shared between Conrad and Belly dancing in the magical snow on the beach while Taylor Swift’s “Invisible String” melodically tied the scene together. The soundtrack hosts a wide variety of artists including the well-known Olivia Rodrigo, Frank Ocean and Billie Eilish as well as nostalgic artists like Dayglow, Mac Miller and One Direction. This playlist is perfect for a good mood when you want more of a pop vibe without the inclusion of overplayed radio music. 

The most nostalgic playlist that is always in my rotation is called Divorced Dad Rock. Getting into my dad’s truck has always and will always be like getting hit with a wave of Daughtry, Matchbox Twenty and Nickelback. This playlist, full of Hinder, Shinedown and any other artist with that specific grunge twang, fits any mood. Its uplifting beats with sad or angry undertones are the perfect background noise for working out. 

The ultimate battle for me is the decision of what playlist to listen to on any given 15-minute drive in my small town. Although seemingly short, four or five songs can change my entire attitude. A balanced mix of country music, oldies and vibey artists like George Ezra and Greta Van Fleet is found in a playlist called One More Song About Movin Along the Highway. Although it is an ironically fun playlist to listen to while driving, I enjoy this one because it doesn’t limit me to one genre. 

In a playlist called Zach Bryan, Hozier, Lumineers, Noah Kahan esque, the ultimate collaboration takes place between four artists that are able to capture raw emotions in such a poetic way. Ordinary people had trouble finding words for the specific feelings they experienced before their songs were released. The slow beats with outstanding vocals and creative patterns fit the energy of fall and nighttime so well. These artists are perfect for neutral moods as some have themes of leaving and longing while others touch on hope and love. Along with this comforting energy, a playlist curator has made the ultimate playlist called Songs That Feel Like a Weighted Blanket. Artists like Bon Iver and Billy Joel add an extra touch of hominess. 

My recipe for a perfect morning begins with the right music. The same playlist curator has one called Waking Up Softly and it perfectly represents a slow, but good morning. Something about listening to The Smiths, Jack Johnson and Fleetwood Mac as I wake up is the epitome of girlhood and setting myself up for a good day with a good mood. 

Even if none of these resonate with you, I encourage you to look up whatever feeling or vibe you’re craving in the search bar because chances are there’s a playlist for it. 

Layne Rey is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.