Top songs of 2023 so far

In a rapidly evolving music scene, 2023 has seen some of the most innovative and iconic songs so far, making it quite a memorable year for the industry. From the breakthrough of boygenius into the mainstream to other pop comebacks such as “Speed Drive” by Charli XCX, here are the top songs of 2023 so far:

‘$20’ by boygenius

Acting as one of the lead singles off their debut album “the record,” boygenius pushed through the barriers many queer artists face with “$20,” a song all about wanting to find a sense of excitement and joy just one more time before facing the boredom of being an adult. Consisting of members Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker, this song perfectly blends their different vocal styles together, allowing for Bridgers’ screams, Dacus’ smooth alto and Baker’s husky soprano to make the track quite the showstopper. If you haven’t heard this song yet, go listen to it before the year ends, as it’s sure to be a contender for many award shows to come.

‘Boy’s a liar, Pt. 2’ by Pinkpantheress & Ice Spice

Obviously, almost everyone has heard “Boy’s a liar, Pt.2” by now, as the unlikely duo of hyperpop newcomer Pinkpantheress and Bronx rapper Ice Spice have created the perfect pop song. This song has become so popular because of how upbeat and catchy it is, gaining attention through TikTok and other social media platforms. It’s an ideal listen for any situation: a party, a workout or even a picnic with friends. Also, the lyrics are just as iconic, especially when Ice Spice appears halfway through the song to rant about an untrustworthy love interest.

‘Hits Different’ by Taylor Swift

“Hits Different” by Taylor Swift came as a surprise to many fans over the summer, as the singer released it alongside two other singles for her re-imagined “Midnights (The Til Dawn Edition),” an addition to the original “Midnights.”

Allegedly about her recent breakup with actor Joe Alwyn, this song may sound happy and warm but is actually one of Swift’s most gut-wrenching as she sings, “Oh my, love is a lie / Sh*t my friends say to get me by / It hits different / It hits different this time.” It’s one of the best songs of 2023 so far because of how the singer’s honesty is right at the forefront, not backing down from speculations or fans’ concerns.

‘Speed Drive’ by Charli XCX

Surprisingly, Charli XCX recently re-emerged into the mainstream with her song “Speed Drive,” which was written for Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie.” In under two minutes, the singer manages to captivate the energy of a high-speed chase, as writing about cars in the past has become one of the key features in her songwriting.

With witty lyrics such as “Oh, got the top down, tires on fire / Who are you? I’m livin’ my life / See you lookin’ with that side eye / Wow, you’re so jealous ‘cause I’m one of a kind,” you can’t help but get up and dance to this song, as it’s a mix of hyperpop, pop and electronic sounds are unmatched compared to other tracks from the film.

‘AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM (feat. Kendrick Lamar)’ by Beyoncé

Even though the original “AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM”was released over a year ago, Beyoncé teamed up again with rapper Kendrick Lamar to add to the fan-favorite, which has proven to amplify its swagger and energy. With Lamar kicking off the song in the newest rendition, you can feel the duo’s comfortability with one another throughout, not afraid to boast about their success.

Coming from two black artists, this song has also allowed for more representation in popular music this year, empowering other artists and fans to pursue their interests. Similar to “$20,” this song will no doubt be up for awards this year too, as this collaboration has been one of the best from 2023.

‘Welcome To My Island’ by Caroline Polachek

After a four-year hiatus, Caroline Polachek came back to the alt-scene with her sophomore album, “Desire, I Want To Turn Into You,” which has been critically acclaimed since its release in February. Its lead single, “Welcome To My Island,” has left a lasting impression on 2023 not only for its change in sound for the singer but also for her improved vocal range and lyrical abilities.

A song about desiring someone else, it almost feels like we’re in a new world that Polachek has created, sonically reminding one of laying in the sun or smelling salt air.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu