5 easy recipes to make in a dorm or apartment

For many college students at Ohio University, cooking a full-course meal can become one of many daily hassles along with classes, extracurricular activities and work. The ease of pre-made meals, fast-food options, meal plans and a lack of kitchen appliances has diminished the reliance on cooking for many OU students.

It can seem daunting for students to get started in the kitchen with limited budgets and cooking space, but the simplest recipes can help ease the hesitation to enter the kitchen.

Sausage and bacon breakfast quesadillas

Many college students opt to skip a fulfilling breakfast meal as they race to make it to their 8 a.m. classes. Fortunately, this recipe is quick to make and can provide you with countless morning quesadillas throughout your week. To make six quesadillas, you will need sausage, eggs, flour tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.

Start by cooking 6 ounces of sausage in a pan over medium-low heat, and remove it once it is crispy. Next, mix six eggs with salt and pepper and add them to the used pan. Remove the pan from the flame once the eggs are cooked to your liking and mix all ingredients in the pan. Then, evenly spread the cooked ingredients in each open quesadilla and fold it closed. Lastly, add each quesadilla back to the pan and cook until golden brown.

Recipe: https://www.budgetbytes.com/sausage-and-egg-breakfast-quesadillas/

French toast bites

If you are in the mood for a simple, finger-friendly breakfast recipe, then these French toast bites are the way to go. The recipe can make as many bites as you prefer and can be made in under 15 minutes. Ingredients include Hawaiian rolls, vanilla extract, heavy cream, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, powdered sugar and butter. All you have to do is mix every ingredient besides butter, powdered sugar and Hawaiian rolls in a bowl, and baste your Hawaiian rolls in the mixture. After each roll is coated to perfection, butter your skillet and cook the rolls on each side for one minute. Once complete, your french toast bites are ready to be served with a fresh coat of maple syrup and powdered sugar.

Recipe: https://www.tiktok.com/@cookingwithdestiny_/video/7247153559463021867?lang=en

Chicken pasta casserole

Pasta and chicken enthusiasts are in for a delight with this four-ingredient chicken pasta casserole. Making four servings in 20 minutes, all you need for this simple recipe is pre-cooked chicken, a jar of marinara sauce, a box of pasta and shredded mozzarella cheese. To complete this baked casserole dish, you can combine the sauce, pasta and chicken in the bottom of a baking dish. Top the layered meal with shredded cheese and bake until bubbles form along the top of the casserole.

Recipe: https://gimmedelicious.com/4-ingredient-chicken-pasta-casserole/

Pizzas

Pizza is an enjoyable dish once fully prepared, but the act of preparing dough can seem like a challenging task. Luckily, this pizza recipe only requires four essential ingredients: premade pizza crust, a can or jar of pizza sauce, a shredded cheese of your desire and olive oil. All these ingredients can be found at reasonable prices at local grocery stores in Athens, and serving size can vary depending on the size and amount of crusts you purchase. Each pizza can be topped with any protein or other toppings of your liking, and most premade crusts provide step-by-step guides to preparing a pizza.

One-minute microwave brownie

Easy-to-cook meals are not just relegated to full-course breakfasts or dinners, and these microwave brownies are a perfect example of an easy-to-make dessert. The recipe calls for granulated sugar, water, vegetable oil, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, salt and chocolate chips. Simply mix all ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until evenly mixed. Then, pour the mix into a microwavable mug and cook for one minute. Each ingredient can be substituted for your liking and can be served with other sweet delicacies including a flavorful ice cream.

Recipes: https://www.averiecooks.com/one-minute-microwave-brownie/

tb222023@ohio.edu