5 ways to treat people with kindness on a regular basis

Sometimes, it’s hard to take a moment and be kind to others, especially when daily stressors in your life get in the way. However, to create a kinder environment, one must choose kindness regularly and often.

If you’re looking to expand your heart and mind to others, here are five ways to treat people with kindness regularly:

Just smile and wave, whether or not you know the person

When walking down the street or to class, be mindful of how you present yourself. Avoid walking with a negative facial expression, even if you are going through it. Instead, try to make eye contact, smile when they look at you, and maybe even wave if you know the person. This shows people that you’re a friendly and comfortable person, someone even a stranger can come to in a time of need. Also, it will eventually change your attitude and might make someone’s day to see your smile and bright energy.

Compliments go a long way

While you shouldn’t fish for compliments, it doesn’t hurt to tell the person next to you that you like their outfit or how they did their makeup. Doing so creates common ground between you and that person, allowing you to foster a potential acquaintance or friendship. If a thought comes to your head that sounds like a compliment when you see someone, tell them. Who cares if it’s awkward or doesn’t go the way you planned? At least you’re showing a little act of kindness.

Always say please and thank you

Now, this next one may sound redundant and childish, but if you’re not telling people “please” and “thank you,” you simply are being rude. These words may be common sense to most, but adding them to a conversation takes less than five seconds. It also shows the person that you respect them, especially those working in the service industry, and they may appreciate it. Being polite allows one to expand their vocabulary and emotions and leaves a good impression on the people you interact with.

Offer to take on extra chores around your dorm or apartment

College life can be busy and stressful, but it’s good to take note of your surroundings. If your roommate needs a little extra help, offer to take on a few simple chores or tasks on their to-do list. For example, you could offer to take the trash out for you and your roommate or grab an extra coffee from the Front Room Coffeehouse to bring to your friend while they’re on a study break. This small act of kindness can also help foster more of an understanding between you and your roommate and will prevent fewer conflicts in the future.

Ask someone new to hang out

Reaching out to new people is important, especially if you find yourself talking to them in and outside of class. Ask this person to hang out and exchange numbers to set a time, and you’ll find yourself making new friends instantly. It may seem daunting, but it also shows that you want to get to know someone new and have the same interests. It also may help someone struggling to get out of their head for a bit, so be kind and take them to a nice spot on campus and talk about things that don’t revolve around school.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu