ALDI must-haves for lunch, dinner and more

Once you get to upperclassmen status at Ohio University, one has to start thinking about the most dreadful task of all: affording groceries. While it may seem daunting, there’s one store that almost all students can rely on for help, and that’s ALDI.

Here are a few ALDI must-haves you can make for lunch and dinner throughout the school year:

Frozen food

The frozen food section at ALDI has a lot to choose from, especially if you need meals that can be heated up in the microwave or oven during a busy week on campus. From items such as orange chicken to pizzas to vegetables and fruit, there’s something for everyone with all food preferences to buy for cheap. You can also experiment with new dishes, making them your go-to for the next time you’re in need of a quick meal. Basically, frozen food at ALDI will get you far, as meals can last for up to a month or so.

Produce

Produce is also extremely affordable at ALDI, as the store holds an array of different fruits such as apples, oranges, bananas and berries. They can come in big quantities too, which is nice if you’re into making things such as smoothies, fruit bowls or desserts. It’s also a healthier option for the school year, and once you walk into ALDI, you’ll be intrigued by their impressive selection of produce. Buying produce is also a great option if you’re living with multiple people, and you all can share things for at least a week before the fruit goes bad.

Dairy products and dips

Surprisingly, ALDI has a wide array of cheeses, milk products and dips that can serve as great snacks during the week. From imported products to fan favorites, this section is perfect if you’re planning to make heartier meals throughout the week. Meanwhile, the dips they have, such as hummus, pimento cheese dip and buffalo chicken dip, are ideal for late-night snacks or parties you throw during the weekend. These items are also relatively affordable, and you won’t have to go far in the store to find these items.

Desserts

If you haven’t tried ALDI’s chocolate peanut butter cups, you’re simply missing out on a life-changing experience. Besides those, the store also holds a lot of ALDI-brand desserts that actually taste better than on-brand products. With items such as cheesecake samplers, chocolate cake bites and triple chocolate creme cake, there’s a dessert for almost all preferences to be found and enjoyed. This is definitely the section to find at ALDI for those who need a sweet treat either throughout the day or at the end of the night, and its products won’t disappoint.

Snacks

ALDI has a substantial variety of snacks to munch on throughout the day, including items such as chips, cookies and trail mix. Speaking of trail mix, the variety of flavors and combinations is wild, and you can easily find what you're craving in an instant. The servings of these snacks also can last a while when you’re working on a budget, and they’re also great for sharing with friends and roommates. Overall, it’s a way to get what you need to satisfy your snack needs on a budget, serving you for weeks at a time.

Prices

All items from ALDI can be found on its website, but out of the items mentioned, here is a breakdown. For example, a frozen berry acai bowl is only $2.29 if you’re looking for a breakfast meal or snack, while frozen organic sweet potatoes are only $1.85. Meanwhile, individual fruits, such as mangos, start at 99 cents and green grapes are $3.49 for 2.25 pounds. Dips and dairy products are anywhere from a yogurt cup at $1.28 to a Mexicali dip at $3.65. Students can even get Klondike ice cream bars for $2.09 and snacks start at $1.99.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu