All the celebrity breakups that have happened in 2023

To many’s surprise, 2023 has been the year of heartbreak, especially for celebrity couples. With some more shocking than others, beloved fan-favorites and infamous duos seem to have given up on love, including pop culture’s biggest names.

If you’re wondering who has broken up this year, here are all the celebrity breakups that have happened in 2023:

Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn

After six years of dating, reports surfaced in April that Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn had gone their separate ways, breaking the hearts of Swifties everywhere. This breakup was so shocking being that it was Swift’s longest in the public eye, with many fans speculating in the past that the two were secretly engaged or married. What was even more tragic was the history the two shared, as Alwyn helped Swift write many songs for her album “folklore,” going under the pseudonym William Bowery. Overall, this is arguably the biggest breakup of the year, and many are hoping for a reconciliation between the two.

Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner

The most recent news of a celebrity divorce, Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner announced late last week that the two were separating after four years together. In a joint statement on Instagram, the former couple said, “After four years of marriage we have decided to amicably end our marriage. There are many speculative narratives as to why but, truly this is a united decision and we sincerely hope that everyone can respect our wishes for privacy for us and our children.” After the couple had been posting photos of Jonas’s tour behind the scenes throughout the summer, fans were shocked to see the beloved couple were breaking up, proving the illusion of celebrity couples.

Sofía Vergara and Joe Manganiello

In July, People said actors Sofía Vergara and Joe Manganiello had been “growing apart for some time” and had “different” focuses in life, leading them to end their marriage after seven years together. While many insiders said their relationship was passionate and loving, it seems like the two’s differences got in the way of their marriage. In the article, a source said, “Sofía is a smart and hardworking girl who thinks of everything that could go wrong before it actually does. Joe is pretty low key and for years this suited both of them. This has been chipping away for a while.”

Britney Spears and Sam Asghari

Last month, TMZ reported that Britney Spears and Sam Asghari were separating after a “nuclear argument” involving cheating allegations. However, Asghari filed for divorce, citing “irreconcilable differences.” With many rumors swirling about their relationship, especially after the #FreeBritney movement and Spears’ miscarriage, fans still aren’t sure what really caused the end of their relationship, but it was definitely one many predicted. Meeting in 2016, the couple got engaged in 2021 and married the following year after Asghari starred in her music video, “Slumber Party.”

Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied

Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied’s separation was another unexpected announcement from this year, breaking up after 11 years together. The likely cause for the duo’s separation was rumored allegations that Millepied had an affair, deciding to split up after trying to work through it. Following the news this summer, Portman was spotted without her wedding ring on at press events as well, causing fans to wonder. Now, the couple has been spotted out together with no rings on, but getting along amicably, leaving the public wondering if their divorce will actually go through or not. 

Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez

Some of the biggest news of the summer was the announcement of Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez’s divorce, especially after only being married for two years. Separating early this year, People said the two had “been quietly and lovingly working on their friendship.” Reports leaked after Grande was seen without her wedding ring at Wimbledon and during a makeup tutorial on TikTok. The singer said at the time, “I’m just not wearing my wedding ring, it’s getting cleaned. I’m not getting a divorce before you start, don’t.”

In May, Grande also dedicated a post to Gomez on Instagram for their two-year anniversary, causing the news to confuse fans just months later. 

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu