Artist Spotlight: Issa Rae is becoming Hollywood’s biggest star

You may have noticed Issa Rae as President Barbie or as the lead in her hit HBO show “Insecure,” but her impact has reached beyond these two major roles for the actress since her start in Hollywood. Gaining a following in 2011, the star has become renowned for her witty sense of humor, especially on topics involving race and gender.

Starting her own YouTube channel in 2011, Rae started a series known as “Awkward Black Girl.” Becoming an overnight sensation, the actress continued to create content such as short films, web series and collaborations with other black artists, allowing her to earn a massive following in just a year.

The series also caught the attention of Pharrell Williams, who offered Rae a partnership to host the second season on his own streaming channel that year, helping expand her audience. 

From there, Rae began writing and producing for TV, working for shows “How Men Become Dogs” and “Little Horribles.” While she was becoming more mainstream, the actress continued to advocate for important issues such as police brutality.

A year later, in 2014, Rae founded ColorCreative, a management company that supports diverse creators and inclusive content. Beyond investing in management, the actress also wrote her own autobiography, “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl,” becoming a New York Times bestseller.

In 2016, Rae’s big break came again with the creation of her own show on HBO, “Insecure.” The comedy-drama series followed best friends Issa and Molly in California, both trying to make careers for themselves. As the two best friends go through their ups and downs, they realize their insecurities are what have bound them together, making the show relatable and heartfelt.

After its release, the show was nominated for multiple Emmy and Golden Globe Awards throughout the end of 2010s, and Rae even won a Satellite Award for Best Actress in a Series, Comedy or Musical in 2019, as well as a BET Award for Best Actress the following year for her work on “Insecure.” 

With her work becoming the most talked about during this time period, Rae received a spot on TIME Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world. She also appeared in Essence Magazine’s Game Changes issue alongside other major names, like Shonda Rhimes, Debbie Allen, Ava DuVernay and Mara Brock Akil.

When “Insecure” ended in 2021, Rae began promoting another show she had created for HBO called “Rap Sh!t.” Airing the following year, the show became another standout on the streaming service, detailing the lives of two estranged high school friends who reunite to form an all-female rap group.

Beyond “Rap Sh!t,” Rae also dove into film, starring in movies such as “The Hate U Give,” and “Vengeance.” Her appearances thus led her to act in some of the biggest movies of this year, most notably Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” and Marvel’s “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.” 

Recently, Rae has sparked the media’s attention for her role as President Barbie. Known in the movie for her positivity and inclusivity, the role has proven to highlight the ways in which diversity is needed in film. 

Overall, Issa Rae’s contributions to film and TV have been some of the most remarkable within the last 10 years, making her one of Hollywood’s most progressive, inclusive and diverse artists. If you haven’t taken the time to watch any of her films or shows, now is the time before she continues to get bigger and bigger.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu