Bedroom pop will be redefined by AVIV’s lyrical talent, grunge edge

Bedroom pop is a genre that has taken over the youthful music world, especially since the use of DIY recordings became so widespread. With this phenomenon comes a lot of undistinguishable artists, but a new name has arisen from the genre to redefine it. AVIV is a teenage, Toronto-based singer/songwriter with a passion for lyrically intense, yet enjoyable tracks. 

AVIV has been influenced by artists like Elliott Smith and Radiohead, and is emblematic of artists like Lorde and Olivia Rodrigo, making her style a creative culmination of many musical techniques and directions. She began writing her own music during the pandemic, but her education in piano and guitar began long before her musical debut. She recently opened for Imagine Dragons on their arena tour, and her recent single was produced by a legend of the Canadian music industry, Robbie Lackritz (known for his work with Feist and Alvvays). 

AVIV’s first release, entitled "Cookie Dough," was released in 2020, and it certainly lives up to its sweet name. This song demonstrates that AVIV has been a master of lyrical flow and rhyme scheme since the early days of her career. The lyrical capabilities of this artist are far beyond the caliber of many singer/songwriters her age, making her stand out in a crowd of young, female singers who tend to favor the same musical trends. Her voice masterfully alternates between a breathy high register and a deep resonance, providing yet another example of her prodigal talent. 

AVIV has a talent for immersive songwriting. Her song "Girls in Red" sounds as if it is being streamed through a rotary phone, an effect that is achieved through static distortion on the instruments and vocals. Another example of this skill is "Drowning in the Culture," the title track of her first studio album. As is referenced in the title, the imagery of this song's production makes it sound as if it is being played underwater. 

Two songs from her discography that stand out are "Failed English" and "Blue Eyed Boy," both songs showing variation in her otherwise consistent style. Both still maintain her lighthearted vocal quality and lyrical talents, but with more of a bite. Neither song sugarcoats her emotions, which demonstrates a lot of growth, both personally and artistically. 

AVIV’s new single, "Running Shoes," is certainly less upbeat than her other works, but is still optimistic. It chronicles a love story in a mellow and tender way. 

The artist says, “‘Running Shoes’ represents an escape. They symbolize a gateway to comfort and sanity. In this case, to someone who provides these amenities. It’s the impulsive desire to just put your shoes on and run to safety.” 

This single is no different from the others in its demonstration of her firm grasp on lyrical importance. Her words aren’t convoluted or hard to understand, but still convey her emotions in an intelligent and relatable way. Her melodies are sweet and soft, blending into the lush background nicely. 

AVIV is a genius of rhymes and wording, as well as an innovator of the bedroom pop sound. Her style is light-hearted and upbeat, but contains a grunge edge that other artists in the genre lack. AVIV is a relatable and evocative talent that is sure to soon skyrocket to the top of the genre's charts.

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu