Jada Wilkins (bottom left) sits for a portrait with E-bord members inside the multicultural center in Baker Center Sept 26, 2023.

Ebony Minds fosters an inclusive environment

For many first-time Ohio University students, keeping the passion for student leadership can be a difficult transition.

Students like Brianna Jones, a junior studying communication sciences and disorders, have always been actively involved in student organizations.

While attending a small, private and predominantly Black Christian school, Jones served in many positions such as cheer captain, student body president and a member of her school’s leadership academy.

Despite her eager participation in high school, Jones took a backseat to on-campus involvement as a freshman at OU in 2021. Jones said becoming sheltered during her freshman year allowed her the necessary break to become more actively involved in a community that resonated with her.

“I just knew I needed to get out more, get into the community and get involved because I always was,” Jones said. “I had my immediate group of friends ... but, it does help being out and being able to go into different spaces with people who look like you and go through similar experiences as you.”

One of the clubs Jones resonated with was Ebony Minds, a club dedicated to educating students on issues Black people, primarily women, face globally. Jones, who now serves as co-vice president for the organization, said when she began attending meetings for the organization during her sophomore year, she witnessed an uplifting and exciting community.

“I think the community in Ebony Minds really resonated with me (and) the different workshops I went to (and) how fun they were,” Jones said. “But, we still do get a lot of stuff done … not only advocating for Black women, but Black people, multicultural people, multicultural women (and) women in general.”

Like Jones, a mix of comfort from Ebony Mind’s community and passion for continued student involvement led Nia Boyd, a junior studying communication sciences and disorders, to join the club.

“Coming into college, I still wanted to be involved on campus as a leader and Ebony Minds actually reached out to me (to) introduce themselves,” Boyd said. “That made me feel very comfortable. And starting out my freshman year, I went in as being the treasurer for Ebony Minds.”

Boyd, who serves as a co-president for the organization this year, said she continued to be engaged with Ebony Minds because of how important the organization has been in uplifting the multicultural community at OU.

“It just means a lot,” Boyd said. “The founders of Ebony Minds are still very much involved with everything that goes on with the events and everything. It just gave me a sense of family and a sense of sisterhood that anybody should want and anybody should need.”

Boyd said the founder’s dedication to building camaraderie among the executive members of the club continues outside of any event the organization plans.

“If there’s any time they’re down in Athens, they always make sure everybody on the (executive) board is able to meet, have lunch or just go out to Court Street and walk around together,” Boyd said. “They always ask us what new things we’re doing and they still communicate with everybody on the executive board. Issues that we have had with planning … they helped us tremendously. We are very grateful for that.”

According to a previous Post article, Ebony Minds was founded in the winter of 2016 by Jasmyne Shaw and Robyn Heard, two OU alumni who graduated in 2018. The duo aimed to create a safe space for Black women to educate one another on political and social issues affecting their community, and, in turn, established an organization that has become an integral part of OU for almost seven years.

Each semester, the club has educated OU students at weekly meetings with open dialogues for students to discuss various topics, ranging from toxic relationship talks to conversations about caring for one’s hair or colorism. This semester, the club has held meetings on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. in the Multicultural Center.

Along with these serious conversations, the club has also hosted less formal events such as a movie or karaoke night.

The club began an annual tradition in 2021 called the Fifty Shades of Brown Brunch, which is held every November. The brunch has a unique theme each year that is centered around an aspect of advocacy.

Jada Wilkins, a junior studying Spanish, English and African American studies and co-vice president of the club, said the event is Ebony Mind’s biggest of the fall semester.

“It’s something we try to put on every year, (and it) is always centered around a theme,” Wilkins said. “We get one of the ballrooms in Baker and we fill it up with tables and decorate it all ourselves.”

While these engaging events and weekly discussions cater to issues primarily surrounding Black women, the club has continued to engage members outside of this demographic.

Wilkins said the club’s discussions are a way for any student to become educated on issues affecting communities outside of their own.

“If that is not a community you are a part of, you’re welcome to come and I hope that you learn something new,” Wilkins said.

Boyd said the versatility of Ebony Minds’ events, such as a breast cancer awareness meeting and academic events, is her favorite aspect of the club.

“We cater to our men, we cater to our LGBTQIA+ community,” Boyd said. “We just don’t cater to women. I feel like we are able to meet everyone somewhere at any point they are at.”

Ebony Minds has fostered a community that Jones said starts with the sisterhood built within the executive board.

“With our executive board, we do always tell (each other) that we are like sisters,” Jones said. “Granted, we won’t always agree, but we’ll always make sure that we respect each other and get things done in a respectful manner.”

The club’s fostered community has also uplifted students, like Wilkins, by opening doors and engaging them with their club in Athens.

“I really enjoy where it has put me in the Black community here in Athens,” Wilkins said. “I will be forever grateful for what Ebony Minds has given to me, and that is why I work so hard for it. It has given me the world, and I want to give it the world back.”

tb222023@ohio.edu