A guide to fantasy football

Through the first three weeks of the NFL season, there have been a lot of injuries and surprise stars. To make sure you don’t fall behind in your fantasy leagues, here are some players to help keep your roster afloat.

Key:

QB - Quarterback

RB - Running Back

WR - Wide Receiver

TE - Tight End

D/ST - Defense/Special Teams

RAC - Run after catch

QBR - Quarterback Rating

PPG - Points per game

QB: Brock Purdy PPG: 17.3 playing Arizona Cardinals

According to ESPN, Purdy has a QBR of 78.8, which is No. 2 among those in his position. This means Purdy has been doing something extremely valuable for a fantasy QB, and that’s not turning the ball over. Throughout the season, Purdy has four passing and a few rushing touchdowns showing dual-threat capability in San Francisco's offense. Alongside Purdy’s ability, he also has superb skill position players who get RAC, which helps pad Purdy's statistics. Christian McCaffrey and Deebo Samuel are two of the most talented players at their position, so getting their QB could provide a nice combo on your roster if you have one of them on your roster. Playing the Cardinals this week, the 49ers offense should be able to get large plays despite the Cardinals' defense being a surprise success this season. 

RB: Zack Moss PPG: 21.6 playing Los Angeles Rams

With star RB Jonathan Taylor starting the season out, Moss has stepped up in a huge way for his team's run game. Moss has been averaging 4.4 yards per carry, and with Taylor out, he has been getting 24 carries per game. Moss has a lot of opportunity in the offense, and an interesting development in his play has been the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. In only two games, Moss has been used as a key Red Zone weapon for the Indianapolis Colts, catching a touchdown against the Baltimore Ravens and rushing for a touchdown against the Houston Texans. Once Taylor returns from injury, Moss’s production will dip down, but for right now, there are few better options to replace your injured running back room.

WR: Puka Nacua PPG: 21.4 playing Indianapolis Colts

With the Los Angeles Rams’ Cooper Kupp out for the start of the season, rookie Puka Nacua has been a revelation for the Rams' passing attack. Every news outlet has been covering Nacua’s historic start to his rookie season, so if he is available, it can’t be said enough that you should pick him up. Nacua has 30 receptions for 338 yards and averages 11.3 yards per reception, which, in a points-per-reception league, can be huge. There is concern that once Kupp returns, Nacua’s production will go down, but Nacua’s strength and versatility could play complimentary football to Kupp, making him a dangerous second option for QB Matthew Stafford. Getting Nacua would be a great addition, but if no available teammate Tutu Atwell could be a good substitute as he has been Stafford’s deep receiving threat with Kupp out.

TE: Sam LaPorta PPG 14.2 playing Green Bay Packers

One of the hardest positions for a rookie to play is the TE position because of how different it is from the college game and what is asked of you. This has not been a problem for LaPorta who has become Jared Goff's safety net receiver. Each week, LaPorta’s production has increased, and last week he got his first touchdown. LaPorta is a great addition because the Detroit Lions don’t have a receiving TE on their roster outside of LaPorta, as their other ones are used more for blocking. This is a rare opportunity to pick up a number one TE on a team in free agency.

D/ST: Chiefs D/ST - PPG: 8.7 playing the New York Jets

After a lackluster start on opening night against the Detroit Lions, the Kansas City Chiefs have held their opponents to 10 points and under. They have one interception and eight sacks so far this season and have stars on the defensive line with Chris Jones and George Karlaftis. They face off against the New York Jets, who have given up nine sacks, and their QB Zach Wilson has already thrown four interceptions through three games. Pro Football Focus has them ranked as the No. 15 defense in the league, so picking them up now could pay off for you later in the season.

jg453620@ohio.edu