First weeks of fall semester bucket list

Welcome back to Athens, Bobcats! There are so many fun things to squeeze into your semester, but here is a bucket list of things to do during your first weeks of fall.

Athens Farmers Market

The Athens Farmers Market is every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. outside the Athens Community Center. This is the perfect place to buy some of your groceries from local vendors and show support for the community! They have a mix of greens, meats, cheeses, jams, pastries, flowers and so much more.

The Athena Cinema

A movie night with some friends is the perfect addition to your first-week-of-the-semester bucket list. The Athena Cinema is constantly running special events, like the welcome week rooftop viewing of “Lady Bird.” Next week, they are featuring a global warming documentary titled “This Changes Everything” as a part of the Fall Sustainability Series. On your walk to class, make sure to stop by and see what is going on each week!

Strouds Run State Park

Strouds Run State Park is located within easy driving distance from Ohio University and features a mix of lake and trail activities. With over 15 miles of hiking trails and 170 acres of lake to explore, this is a great place to hang out outside of class and escape the hustle and bustle of campus.

The Ridges

The Athens Lunatic Asylum was created 150 years ago and now houses the Kennedy Museum of Art and the Ohio Museum Complex. Checking out The Ridges is the perfect spooky start to the fall semester, and the Southeast Ohio History Center offers tours of the asylum grounds! 

Sunrise yoga

Sunrise yoga takes place Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 7:30 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. Starting the day off right is the key to a good semester. Check out the Ohio University events page for more information on the varying locations!

See what’s going on at Baker University Center

On Friday, Sept. 1 you can catch a Welcome Week drag show at Baker University Center; what’s cooler than that? Along with this, the annual Poster Sale is going on through the end of the week. Be sure to snag some good posters for your dorm or house before they’re gone!

Picnic on College Green

A fall semester bucket list would not be complete without having a picnic on College Green. As the days go on, the foliage and the cool weather will only continue to get better. Grab a blanket, your favorite snacks, some friends and have the best fall picnic on the prettiest part of campus!

Catch a show at The Union

No Ohio University student's college experience is complete without going to The Union. They have a lot of upcoming shows and events lined up this semester, like the Y2K dance party on Sept. 9! You are bound to have a good time at The Union.

Order a pumpkin drink

There are no shortages of coffee shops on Court Street, so what is stopping you from getting a fall drink before your next morning class? If you’re not into pumpkin drinks, a spiced power chai from Donkey Coffee & Espresso is fall in a cup that you can order all year long!

Go thrifting

Sustainability is in, and thrifting is the best way to find new and cool clothes for the semester. Check out Athens Underground on Court Street, or New-To-You and UpCycle off campus. Your pockets and the environment will thank you for shopping second-hand!

@jillianbullockk

jb748522@ohio.edu