Fresh Finds Friday: JID, Lil Yachty and more release new music

Happy Fall, Bobcats! It’s the end of a beautiful week, and you know what the best part of my week is? Listening to new music. It's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs from the past week that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

‘When it’s Over by Kyle Beats Collective, Drex Carter

Music producer and YouTuber Kyle Beats creates videos about music production and making songs from scratch, which is best highlighted in his "Would've KILLED This Beat" series. In it he produces a beat and gives underground rappers a chance to create their best lines and releases the best ones on his Spotify page Kyle Beats Collective. The latest episode of his "Would've KILLED This Beat” features Drex Carter, which turned into "When it’s Over.” When Carter raps about dreaming of his future success, lyrics: "Yeah we are on the way but I can never wait until the morning / We on the way but I can't seem to say what they want / They gon' play this when it's over." You can check out "When It's Over," now on Spotify.

‘Blakkboyz present Half Doin Dope/Van Gogh’ by JID, BabyTron, Lil Yachty

Atlanta Rappers JID and Lil Yachty return under the BlakkBoyz moniker to share a two-song single entitled "Blakkboyz present Half Doin Dope/Van Gogh." On "Half Doin Dope” the artists present creative, playful bars stacked with a feature from BabyTron"Van Gogh," JID and Yachty can better flex their lyrical capabilities over a trap beat. The second song is accompanied by a music video, using combinations of various styles of famous painters.

‘AT WHAT COST’ by Lil Mabu

New York rapper Lil Mabu has garnered fame over the past few months with singles such as “RICH SCHOLAR” and “MATHEMATICAL DISRESPECT.” In a recent video, he discussed his plans to attend college instead of taking a record deal. During his gain of fame, he lost moments of his childhood, neglected meaningful relationships and not spending time with his family.

Mabu raps, “I lost my brothers to this shit, look to the sky and I salute/ I look my brother in his eyes, I almost cried, I miss you too.” Possibly connecting his career with the loss of those moments in his life.

‘Woke Up and Asked Siri How I’m Gonna Die’ by Armand Hammer, billy woods, E L U C I D, JPEGMAFIA

Armand Hammer teams up with producer JPEGMAFIA on “Woke Up and Asked Siri How I’m Going Gonna Die.”An authentic, experimental piece that gives the listener a combination of a digital era soundscape mixed with sampled audio about the exuberances of JPEG images, reverb-heavy vocals and a fading out that can only be described as psychedelic to end the experience. Despite its relatively brief length, fellow contributor billy woods explained it to be one of the songs “where all the parts swirl in a unique orbit, building upon each other and all of a sudden the whole thing is floating.” You can enjoy the music video here and expect this track and more on Hammer’s sixth studio album set to arrive on Sept. 29.

‘Your Bones’ by Chelsea Cutler

Some know Chelsea Cutler as a frequent collaborator with artists such as Quinn XCII and Louis The Child. Still, she also embarked on a solo career and is building upon this with her new single “Your Bones,” which was released Aug. 30, after teasing it for weeks on TikTok It follows the song “I Don’t Feel Alive,” which arrived July 14, and is rumored to be a part of and to bolster Cutler’s upcoming album “Stellaria,” which is set to release Oct. 13.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu