Fresh Finds Friday: The Weeknd, Doja Cat, Odesza return with new music

Happy fall, Bobcats! It’s the end of a beautiful week, and you know what the best part of my week is? Listening to new music. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. 

Although everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs from the past week that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. 

Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Balut” by Doja Cat

Doja Cat released her single “Balut” ahead of her anticipated upcoming album “Scarlet” over a '90s-styled boom-bap beat in which she boldly raps about eating the competition; it’s just an overall boss-like vibe about a woman who is empowered. The song opens up with a Ric Flair quote: “Remember this, girls / None of you can be first, but all of you can be next.” Doja Cat took to Instagram to provide followers with the actual meaning of the song: “I named the song Balut because it signifies a bird that’s being eaten alive / It’s a metaphor for Twitter stans and the death of Twitter toxicity.” You can expect “Scarlet” on Sept. 22.

“Another One Of Me” by Diddy, The Weeknd, French Montana, 21 Savage

Over a thick atmospheric beat, a chilled-out song plays with heavy reverb over the vocals from Abel Tesfaye, better known as The Weeknd, on “Another One Of Me.” From that intro, it delves into various features from French Montana and 21 Savage. The music video transports us into a space fiction-like environment, where each is among floating shards of glass and statues. This song is reportedly the last feature of the stage name The Weeknd as he moves on to use Able Tesfaye until Daft Punk gets back together he tweeted. “Another One Of Me” is a part of Diddy’s new LP “The Love Album: Off The Grid,” which was released Sept.15.

“Punisher” by K.Flay

"Punisher" is among the several songs on K. Flay's new album "MONO," which was released Sept. 15, and came out alongside a music video for "Punisher." The track is relatively ambiguous in its meaning but sonically strengthened. Flay said, "You play it loud and it feels extremely good; it makes you feel tough and powerful and powerful in a way that's generative rather than oppressive." "MONO" comes as Flay deals with becoming deaf in her right ear. She went on to say in an Instagram post it's "about feeling alone and scared but also tough as hell because the worst thing happened and the earth didn't shatter" as much as it's about "quitting nicotine, it's remembering your little cousin's birthday." 

“In The Rain” by ODESZA

Coming off their latest project, “Flaws in Our Design,” which consisted of six songs in collaboration with fellow group Yellow House, ODESZA returns with something slightly different on “In The Rain.” ODESZA is an electronic music duo and a lot of its music is more focused on sonic landscapes like in the 2017 album “A Moment Apart” and the 2022 album “The Last Goodbye.” “In The Rain” focuses on a more upbeat mainstream EDM banger that will surely make you dance well in the rain.

“BURY YOU” by Ari Abdul

A combination of pop, rock and electronic sounds comes to fruition on “BURY YOU,” the latest single from rising Brooklyn-based music star Ari Abdul, who has been quite busy lately performing this past August at Lollapalooza and also embarking on her first-ever tour. On “BURY YOU” a computerized drum beat is juxtaposed smoothly with Abdul’s vocals in a performance that gives me Billie Eilish’s “bad guy” vibes throughout the record. You can see Abdul on tour throughout North America and Europe this fall.

Listen to the Fresh Finds Podcast below!

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu