Here are 10 songs needed for your perfect 2023 fall playlist

Happy fall, everyone! It’s officially time for warm pumpkin spice drinks, curling up with a good book and watching the leaves turn a magnificent array of orange, red and yellow. For this special event, here are ten warm, cozy tracks to be the perfect soundtrack for all your fall activities.

Linger” by The Cranberries

First on the list is The Cranberries’ hit, “Linger,'' released in 1993 on the band’s debut album, “Everyone Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?” This soft lullaby recently gained traction on TikTok with users having the song as their video’s sound and asking “Who up letting it linger?” It’s not surprising why this song has captured the ears of Gen-Zers as it encapsulates such a chill vibe with its smooth acoustic guitar, heartfelt strings and soft pitter-pattering of the drums. Dolores O’Riordan’s vocals are fragile, yet emotionally powerful as she sings the heartbreaking lyrics. Overall, “Linger” will have you “letting it linger” all through the fall season.

Homecoming” by Hey Monday

Next is the raging pop-punk banger, “Homecoming,” by the underrated alt-rock band Hey Monday. This track turns up the volume on this playlist with its twangy guitar riffs and crashing drums. This track shows Hey Monday vocalist Cassadee Pope, most known now for her solo career in country music, in her infancy as she belts the song’s chorus, “I'm coming home, I wanna know/When all the leaves begin to fall/If I'm falling, falling apart for you.” This fall imagery and raging rock energy from “Homecoming” can be used as the soundtrack for your transition from your fast-paced pop-punk summer to your cozy, laid-back fall.

There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths

Bringing us back down in tempo a bit is the melodramatic track “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths. This song is another slower track with its soft strings, rumbling bass lines, perky wind instruments and bright acoustic guitar riffs. The drums keep a steady beat as lead singer Morrissey’s shrill vocals seem to dance throughout the tune. In all, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” is the perfect soft track for your placid fall festivities.

Head over Feet” by Alanis Morissette

Next up is “Head over Feet,” the fifth single off of Alanis Morissette’s hit 1995 record, “Jagged Little Pill.” This is another slower track with its crisp electric guitar riffs, steady drum beats and iconic folk harmonica. Morissette’s vocals are wavering as she beautifully sings about falling “head over feet” with someone. It’s a simple, yet catchy tune that will have you in a smitten mood this fall.

Underneath It All” by No Doubt, Lady Saw

The next track on this playlist is “Underneath It All,” a groovy track by arguably one of the most iconic pop-rock bands from the ’90s/early 2000s. No Doubt, known for their sonic hype tracks like “Just A Girl” and “Hella Good,” takes it down a notch with this reggae-infused track by using a slower drum beat, having a bouncing bass line at its forefront and holding its chipper electric guitar in the background. It’s a sexual track as vocalist Gwen Stefani croons about wanting someone to love her “underneath it all.” Lady Saw’s feature on this song solidifies the entire tune as she practically spits out her own verse towards the middle of the track. Overall, it’s a great change of pace for the ska-punk group and it will leave you in a chill mood for the chill season.

Head Over Heels” by Tears For Fears

Up next is one of Tears For Fears’ more popular hits, “Head Over Heels.” This song also gained popularity on TikTok with users using the song for various formats and memes. It is also known for its use in the 2001 psychological thriller “Donnie Darko,” directed by Richard Kelly (which you should definitely watch during the fall season). Nevertheless, this track is full of whimsy as it uses those iconic ‘80s synthesizers as the main instrument of the track with a steady drum rhythm as its backbone. It’s a catchy tune with a smooth melody, and it will definitely put you in the fall mood.

Be My Baby” by The Ronettes

Next on the playlist is the groovy, hit track “Be My Baby” by The Ronettes. This track is one of the more sophisticated songs on this list with its romantic strings, low bari-saxophone and doo-wop drum beat. The song has recently gained a new sense of familiarity as it features in the rolling credits for the 2022 horror film “Barbarian,” directed by Zach Cregger. In juxtaposition with the horrors of the film, the song can be pretty jarring, but on its own, it’s a heartfelt track about falling in love with someone and wanting to call them their partner. Overall, it’s a sweet track that everyone should listen to this season.

Trying” by Bully

We are picking up the pace on this playlist with the indie track “Trying” by Bully, which is off their debut 2015 record “Feels Like.” The song has a grunge feel to it with its fuzzy electric guitar riffs, muddy bass lines and rumbling drums. Bully singer Alicia Bognanno’s vocals are very Gwen Stefani-like, as she keeps a soft tone for the song’s verses and then brings the heat during the choruses as she screams, “I am trying to hide from my mind/I am trying all the time.” It’s a very honest track as Bognanno sings about struggling with her self-image. In all, it’s an underrated track by an underrated band, and everyone should go listen to this song immediately whether the leaves are falling or not.

Karma Police” by Radiohead

Second to last on this list is “Karma Police” by Radiohead. In all honesty, any Radiohead track could easily fit on this list, but “Karma Police” has a certain fall vibe to it that feels like you’re taking a car ride down a back road at dusk, and watching the leaves slowly fall off the trees. Nevertheless, the song is a slow, melodramatic tune with its acoustic guitar, melancholy piano and Thom Yorke’s almost haunting vocals. It’s a chilling track, and it’s sure to leave you in a chilling mood this fall.

Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star

Last on this playlist is Mazzy Star’s hit song, “Fade Into You,” off their 1993 album “So Tonight That I Might See.” This is another track that feels so fall that you can’t help but blast it all season long. “Fade Into You” is fairly simple sonically with its anchored acoustic guitar and swaying drum beats. However, vocalist Hope Sandoval sets this song apart from others with her soft and melodic voice that makes you sway along to the beat. It feels hypnotic at times, which makes it such a spectacular song for this fall season.

@brookekillslive

bp655221@ohio.edu