How to keep your hygiene in check during college

While in Athens, it’s important to prioritize your hygiene in order to stay safe and healthy throughout your four years of college. Sometimes, it’s easy to forget the basics, but by practicing self-care, you will feel better overall.

Here is how to keep your hygiene in check during college:

Take care of your skin

Breakouts tend to happen most to college students when they’re stressed out, so make sure to find skin care products that match your skin type and level of sensitivity. Some great products to try are face washes such as Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser, which ranges from $9 to $13 via CVS, Walmart or Amazon. Another is PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash, starting at $10 via Amazon or Walmart. Both options work on all skin types and are affordable for college students.

Overall, finding a product that is the most affordable and accessible is the perfect way to not overspend on skincare, and you’ll feel more confident about your appearance by taking the time out of your day, whether it be in the morning or at night, to try something new for your skin.

Practice good dental hygiene

One of the first things new people on campus are going to notice is your smile, and quite possibly, your breath. With this in mind, make sure to always have products that will ensure long-lasting freshness. According to NBC News, some of the best toothpaste brands for adults to use include Parodontax, which starts at $8.29 on Amazon, Arm & Hammer Dental Care Toothpaste, which starts at $6.40 on Amazon or Crest Cavity Protection Cool Mint Gel, which starts at $5.99 on Amazon.

You should also always use mouthwash and floss to prevent any plaque build-up, as well as have gum on you 24/7 in your backpack or bag. Essentially, it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to having good teeth and breath, which all of the brands mentioned above can allow you to have.

Wash everywhere, including your downstairs

It might sound weird, but having a clean downstairs, whether you’re male or female-identifying, is extremely important, especially if you’re sexually active in college. Usually, your previous educational experiences in middle and high school don’t always provide students any guidance with this tip, so learning how to wash your entire body goes a long way.

For men, try using products such as MANSCAPED Crop Cleanser Groin Wash, which is available on Amazon for $12.99, as well as others like Skin Elements Intimate Wash for Men, which is $14.99 on Amazon. Beyond intimate self-care, simply start using body wash, shampoo and conditioner to keep the rest of your body clean and healthy. 

For women, it’s vital to find gynecologist-approved products, which you can find a full list of on healthline. Feminine hygiene products don’t only mean tampons and pads, but also essentials like intimate wash products. For example, good brands to try are Dove’s Sensitive Skin Unscented Beauty Bar or Vagisil Daily Intimate pH Balance, both of which are available on Amazon. By using these, your body will easily adapt, and it’ll allow you to feel cleaner and more secure on a regular basis.

Always try to smell good

Sometimes, you don’t realize when the deodorant you applied at the beginning of the day has worn off, especially when walking around a hilly campus such as Ohio University. Thus, you should always be checking what you smell like, as you don’t want others to become upset by it. If you’re looking for some good deodorants, the ones below are in an affordable range and last for several months:

One is Secret Clinical Strength Invisible Antiperspirant & Deodorant, which can be found on Amazon for $8.89 or at Walmart for $12.97. Another is Dove’s 0% Aluminum Deodorant for those who may have a sensitivity to aluminum, which can be found at Walmart for $6.18. For sensitive skin, try Vanicream Antiperspirant Deodorant for Sensitive Skin, which is a bit pricier on Amazonand at Walmart but worth it if you’re in desperate need of a new deodorant. 

Beyond deodorant, also make sure to use some kind of perfume or cologne, which can be found in almost any drugstore around campus, and a nice smelling body wash. By having these products, you will make a good impression on those around you, as well as feel fresh throughout a long day on campus. Smelling good means you will feel good, which will help you be a confident and successful student.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu