Ohio University Bobcats celebrate a goal scored by senior Andrew Wells (20) during the Bobcats' last home game in Bird Ice Arena on Feb. 25, 2023.

Hockey: Ohio set to start new season this weekend at Brock University

Ohio returns to the rink this weekend in full swing with returning star players and new recruits. The latest addition, Mathieu Ovaert, a forward from Switzerland, is fresh to the collegiate level after scoring 52 points last season in the Lausanne U20 league. In the offseason, the team brought in four new forwards and defenders, and the team is opening the season in Ontario. 

Sam Turner, captain, enters his fifth season alongside fourth-year Colin Felton. The two defenders continue to show leadership and will be players to follow this season. 

Luc Reeve is known as the leading scorer in the ACHA and enters this season as a captain, being only a sophomore. He scored a total of 75 points last season. 

The team will have their first home game on Sept. 23 against OHIO White. There is anticipation to fill Bird Arena as they finished last season ranked No. 2. 

During the offseason, the team put their efforts toward training in order to achieve their goals for the season. 

Head Coach Lionel Mauron was awarded the 2023 CSCHL Coach of the Year and the 2023 American Collegiate Hockey Association Coach of the Year. With standout players in the ACHA and Head Coach Lionel Mauron, Ohio is expected to excel. 

Ohio’s first series of the year will be against Brock.

Series Information

Opponent: Brock University CIS 

Location: St. Catherins, ONT. 

Series Date: Sept.15 and 16 at 7 p.m.

ms356522@ohio.edu