Tria Mclean(3) sets the volleyball at the Ohio University vs. Miami University Volleyball Game in the Convo. in Athens, Ohio on Sept. 24, 2022.

Volleyball: The Bobcats host upcoming match against Akron

Although Ohio (5-7) has lost the past three matches in its season, it has a great chance to get back on track this weekend against Akron (5-6). Last year, Ohio swept Akron, including wins of 3-0 and 3-1. It’s set to be a very competitive game, as both teams are in the Mid-American Conference and have similar records.

A few special events are also happening before both matches. On Friday, fans who come to watch and donate canned food items will receive free admission to the match, and all proceeds will be donated to Athens County Food Pantry. Saturday evening, Ohio University Sparkles cheer team will cheer in the match to support inclusion regardless of ability.

If Ohio performs well against Akron, it could end its losing streak and win back its confidence for future matches. 

The Bobcats will have to keep errors to a minimum and play with the energy they had a couple of weeks ago when they won four matches in a row. They beat James Madison, High Point, Butler and North Dakota State. There have been quite a few errors in the last few matches, and the team struggles to dominate early on in sets. However, Ohio’s energy and effort to improve each match does not go unnoticed, and it will continue to work as a team striving for better performances. 

Player to watch: Caroline Clippard

Caroline has been a light for Ohio despite its recent losses. Ohio struggled in its last match against USCB and lost with a final score of 3-1. Clippard helped lead the team and win one set with her impressive kill off an assist from Chariti Winzeler. Helping the Bobcats win one of the three sets is enough to make the team look up to her. She also led against Iowa State with ten kills and pushed her teammates to work hard in the last set. She is someone to watch for this weekend and is an essential part of this fall season. 

@kellynflohr 

kf875321@ohio.edu