Attitude of Ains: Things they don’t warn you about in college

Prior to coming to college, there are a lot of things you’re told in an attempt to enlighten you about all the new changes coming your way. These words of wisdom usually come from someone who has already served their time on a college campus, even if it was decades ago. They seem to think they know everything, and while some of what they say is true, there is a whole world of untold truths about moving away from home and starting a new life at college. 

Coming fresh onto the college campus this fall, I had high expectations like any other freshman. Of course, I was excited to have no parental guidance, no limitations on food or any 6 a.m. wake-ups. I thought I had already heard all the lectures possible about being a good student, staying on top of my health and making smart decisions. I already anticipated these things I was warned about. What I didn’t know was there would be a lot of rude awakenings coming my way during my first year at college. 

I have put together some of the hardships no one prepared me for. This is because some of the toughest battles during this first month were not what I had been warned about. 

To begin, the whole process of moving in. It is advertised as an exciting day where you meet your roommate and get to decorate your living space. I’m sure this was not the case for many. The lack of parking, pouring rain and humid air put everyone in a grumpy mood. On top of this, dads were scrambling everywhere to find a way to fit an impossible number of boxes through the tiny door frames and up multiple flights of stairs. The result was usually satisfactory, but the troubles of the day had just begun for the new college student. 

You are left alone with your roommate for the first time. Maybe you shed a few tears saying goodbye to your parents, so you already have exposed an emotional side of yourself to this stranger. Whether you met on Instagram, through a mutual friend or teh pairing was just completely random, there is always an underlying worry that makes you fear having your own roommate horror story.  No one seems to mention how awkward and forced the first interactions are with your roommate and how to acquaint yourselves to be comfortable around each other. 

Everyone knows that going to college is not a cheap decision, but no one prepares you for the amount of money spent on miscellaneous things you never would have bought at home. Online shopping has been my own personal battle since being here because I feel like my whole wardrobe has to undergo significant changes. On top of this, dining hall food gets old pretty fast, so falling back on the typical Chipotle and Subway for dinner is an expensive choice, but a tasty one. Textbooks, coffee runs and laundry fees will also run your bank account dry. On top of this, it’s not easy to make time for a job to keep up with these expenses, so my advice for my future self is to start taking saving money more seriously. 

Another thing I was not prepared for was the number of steps I would be getting in each day. The number of times I have woken up with sore calves and been unable to walk down stairs is alarming. I have started getting nearly 20,000 steps in a day without even trying. The long walks to basically anywhere on campus from my dorm have really gotten me into shape quickly. I have started getting used to going up the brutal hills in the morning while walking to class, but I still am breaking a sweat by the time I get there. 

All of these things may be considered a “canon event” for college freshmen, but I think a little more warning would have been nice. The change has been a lot, but it has been nice to learn what it is like to be away from home.  

Ainsley Brandabur is a freshman studying journalism. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Ainsley? Email her at ab557022@ohio.edu