Kickin’ with Kyra: The Writers Guild of America strike updates and why the strike needs to happen

Los Angeles has a lot happening almost all of the time, but right now Hollywood is on pause. The Writers Guild of America, or WGA, strike began on May 2 due to growth in A.I. technology and what it means for anyone who works in the entertainment industry. Despite the fear and the need for new contracts, nothing is being done to ease these fears. Additionally, there have been controversies surrounding what some celebrities are doing about the issues at hand.

Celebrities are continuing to post updates and share their knowledge on why this strike needs to happen. Jamie Lee Curtis, for example, has shared many posts discussing the strike and has even provided information regarding what those striking want to come out of it. 

Most stars are on a complete halt from their professions, but many have taken a stand while away from the picket line. For example, Margot Robbie called it quits on “Barbie” marketing when she joined the strike and the “Oppenheimer” cast walked out during the film’s premiere to show their support. Additionally, many shows and movies have been affected by the strike and there have been pauses in production. A few notably impacted productions are “It Ends with Us,” “Gladiator 2,” “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One” and “The Chosen” season four. 

“The Drew Barrymore Show” will be starting back up amid the halt on everything and there is a question as to if the other talk shows will follow. While the show is technically not in violation of any strike rules, many disagree with this choice of hers. “The Jennifer Hudson Show” and “The Talk” also plan to resume production. While it is ultimately Barrymore’s decision, we will have to wait and see how this impacts the industry and the strike because it is such a large, popular talk show.

The strike is impacting everything to do with the media. Recently, TikTok accidentally blocked content about the current strike. The issue was resolved quickly, and it was explained that the intention was to manage content containing QAnon conspiracy theories. Regardless, there was a period of time when people weren’t able to see updates on the strike if they attempted to search it in the app. 

Most individuals know about this strike, but not everyone realizes how it impacts everyone who wants entertainment in their lives. WGA members simply don’t want to be at risk of A.I. technology taking over their jobs. If this strike continues for much longer it could be the most significant strike Hollywood has ever seen. News on the strike continues to grow as time goes on, and I encourage everyone to pay attention to the situation. I am anxious to see how this strike will come to a close, but hopefully, it will end in favor of those who write the stories and those who portray the characters we love.

Kyra Dapore is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu