Isaac Davis, Vice President, speaks at a Student Senate meeting on Sept. 6, 2023, at Walter Hall at Ohio University.

Student senate welcomes new members

Student senate met on Wednesday to appoint new senators within various commissions.

The meeting was initially supposed to have a presentation from students defending students; however, the presenter was absent, so the senate proceeded to new business. 

Senate passed all resolutions pertaining to appointing new members within the senate. Both vice commissioners and senators were appointed. 

The positions included women’s affairs commission senator, director of community service, LGBTQA commission senator, residence life vice-commissioner and minority affairs vice-commissioner.

Following the adoption of those resolutions, each commissioner gave their individual reports, stating with they hope to accomplish this year. 

The Women’s Affairs Commission is planning on implementing “hot girl walks” and wants to make women feel safer on campus. 

“This year we'll be really working on addressing safety issues on campus, especially those that predominantly negatively affect women by working on creating safety in numbers,” Kennedy Huntsman, women’s affairs commissioner, said. 

Other commissioners, including Dan Gordillo, governmental affairs commissioner, who couldn’t be present, took this time to mention through Clerk of Staff, Carson Sarver, how excited he is to have candidates interviewed for his commission. 

The executive board gave its report including President Megan Handle mentioning the status of her period project being phased out of senate's responsibilities. 

She also spoke about her involvement with the presidential transition investiture committee to help plan Ohio University President Lori Stewart Gonzales’ investiture ceremony and welcome her as the university’s 23rd president, which will take place on Oct. 18, in the Memorial Auditorium.

To end the meeting, Treasurer Regean Farmer presented the senate with its budget. Senate currently has a total of $116,973.70 in the Senate Appropriations Commission (SAC), and the senate itself currently has $38,005.77. Of the senate total, $7,572.90 has been allocated but has yet to be spent.

@paigemafisher

pf585820@ohio.edu