TV Review: ‘Sex Education’ Season Four premiere excites

School is back in session for the former students of Moordale Secondary School after the fourth and final season of Netflix’s hit dramedy “Sex Education” dropped in full Sept. 21.

Despite the return of the familiar trio of Otis (Asa Butterfield), Maeve (Emma Mackey) and Eric (Ncuti Gatwa), the series departs from its former setting of Moordale and splits the lovable trio in two after the events of season three.

Still in the United Kingdom, Otis and Eric are thrust into the colorful world of Cavendish Sixth Form College after toppling the regime of Hope Haddon at their former authoritarian school. However, Maeve is beginning her studies at Wallace University in the United States.

Maeve’s new location and cultural environment are not the biggest change for the former trio. Instead, Otis and Eric experience a huge culture shock on their first day at the progressive and vibrant Cavendish Sixth Form College. Accompanying them are a select few of Moordale’s memorable faces, including the loveable Aimee (Aimee Lou Wood), Ruby (Mimi Keene), Jackson (Kedar Williams-Stirling), Vivienne “Viv” (Chinenye Ezeudu) and Cal (Dua Saleh).

Our characters are first introduced to the structure of Cavendish after the school’s equivalent of Moordale’s “Untouchables” known as “The Coven.” The clique is led by Abbi (Anthony Lexa) and also includes her boyfriend Roman (Felix Mutti) and friend Aisha (Alexandra James), and the trio gives the former Moordale student a tour of Cavendish’s campus.

Cavendish is described as a completely “student-led” school that prides itself on its progressive and queer atmosphere. Leading with their motto of, “Why be mean when you can be green?” the school’s community focus, climate consciousness and encouragement of its gossip-free “policy” is a stark departure from the confines of Moordale. Yet, the overly saccharine nature of Cavendish seems to be thinly veiled, bordering on an unfunny satirization of Gen Z culture.

Some characters, such as Eric, Cal, Jackson and Aimee, are shown to be more accustomed to Cavendish. Eric manages to find a niche for himself within Abbi’s clique after saving her from being hit by Ruby’s car. The two are set up for a conflicting connection to emerge that could cause tension between Eric and Ramon.

To process her trauma, Aimee takes up art as a hobby on her healing journey. Running into Isaac, Maeve’s ex, in the process, the two interact in the episode’s most hilarious scene after the two are stuck in an elevator. Jackson takes a backseat in this episode, playing off of Viv’s character and adjusting well. 

On the flip side, Cal, who is now on six months of testosterone, feels like they can be themselves at Cavendish. However, the show creates issues for Cal now that they have an increased sex drive. It’s a rather weird decision for Cal’s character from the writers, but it does create a heartwarming moment from Otis near the end of the episode.

Viv, Ruby and a reformed Michael Groff (Alistair Petrie) have a tough time acclimating to the new school. Viv struggles to accept the overly satirical concept of “If one of us does well, then we all do well” academically, but manages to score the adoration of the equal academic student Beau (Reda Elazouar).

Ruby and Groff have a similar trajectory, realizing how little they fit in this new environment by being stripped of their popularity and grasp of teaching respectively. The two parallel each other during lunch once they are forced to eat lunch in the stalls of the gender-betrayal restrooms, together yet separately.

While not at school, Adam’s story continues and is believably rough. He is still struggling through his breakup with Eric and his relationship with his father. His mother suggests that he get a job after he refuses to attend Cavendish on the first day, and it seems like the start of a heartwarming story.

Maeve and Otis have the toughest time getting into their new environments, which opens the episode. The long-distance dynamic between the two complicates their relationship as they struggle with romantic and sexual pleasure.

In a moment of sexual frustration, Maeve initiates an interaction after sending an explicit photo to Otis. However, Otis does not reciprocate and it results in the episode’s central conflict.

While dealing with Otis’ avoidance, Maeve interacts with the more reserved cast of characters at Wallace University, including the over-the-top Mr. Molloy (Dan Levy). Along with her professor, the introduction of Tyrone (Imani Yahshua) seems to be a huge point of conflict for Maeve’s university storylines this season.

Otis has the hardest struggles during the premiere episode, unsurprisingly. He helps raise his mother’s newly born child Joy and struggles with the fresh acceptance of her radio job as a sex therapist. His attempts to start a sex therapy clinic are futile once he realizes there’s another female therapist, O (Thaddea Graham), on campus. She is great in her role, a sane foley to the uncertain Otis,  and assesses Otis in an intensely intimate scene.

The mix of emerging novelty in his life results in Otis’ climatic moment on the speaker’s floor in a hilarious scene of exposure, resembling the eccentric nature of the show’s earlier seasons. It is a believable and natural response to the sudden changes in his life and captures the awkward essence of “Sex Education” viewers have grown to adore.

Cavendish College and Wallace University present new challenges for the loveable cast of “Sex Education” and is a distinct departure from the show’s previous season. The absurdity is still present and where it lacks in execution, it makes up for by setting up believable storylines.

Season Four offers a strong farewell introduction to most of Moordale’s fan favorites. Tune in next week to recap and review episodes two and three of the final season.

Rating: 4.5/5

tb222023@ohio.edu