Upcoming fall albums to look forward to

Fall is usually the prime time for new albums to drop, no matter the genre. With an array of artists dropping new albums this fall in particular, you won’t run out of things to listen to this semester.

Here’s a list of a few upcoming fall albums to look forward to:

“The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess” by Chappell Roan

In the last year, Chappell Roan has risen to significance for her songs such as “Pink Pony Club,” “Naked In Manhattan” and “Casual,” catching the attention of the media for her similarities to other artists such as Olivia Rodrigo. Writing songs about queerness, societal norms and falling in love in your 20s, the singer’s first debut album “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess” is sure to launch her to the mainstream after teasing it for over two years. What will make this album worth the listen is Roan’s charisma and innovative lyricism, mixing comedy with music to combine the entertainment forms into a captivating listen. Fans can listen to the album on Sept. 22.

“Scarlet” by Doja Cat

Obviously, everyone has been waiting for Doja Cat to release her fourth record “Scarlet” since the release of its lead single “Attention” back in August. Since her last album “Planet Her,” the rapper has completely transformed, ditching her shiny pop stardom for a grunge and horror aesthetic. It’s clear that this album will prove Doja Cat’s growth as an artist, as other released songs “Paint The Town Red” and “Demons” both pull from the pop, R&B and heavy rock genres. Dropping on Sept. 22, the album will hopefully be worth the wait, especially as critics anticipate it to be her most experimental tracklist yet.

“Javelin” by Sufjan Stevens 

Since the release of his 2021 album “A Beginner’s Mind,” Sufjan Stevens has become a major alternative artist to come into the mainstream, especially after his work on the “Call Me by Your Name” soundtrack. His new album “Javelin” will be released Oct. 6, and he’s already released songs “So You Are Tired” and “Will Anybody Ever Love Me?” within the last several weeks as glimpses of what it will look like. Stevens also announced international listening events, which occurred Sept. 19, and will happen again Oct. 3 for fans. 

“Something to Give Each Other” by Troye Sivan

Troye Sivan has stayed out of the music world after the release of his sophomore album “Bloom” in 2018, but the beloved former YouTuber turned singer is gearing up to release “Something to Give Each Other” on Oct. 13. Already dropping its lead single “Rush,” a song about the thrill of partying and physical connection, the singer has intrigued his fan base yet again for what’s to come after his previous albums focused on love and heartbreak. Sivan recently said the album will focus on the “celebration of sex, dance, sweat, community, queerness, love and friendship.”

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift

One of the biggest releases of the fall will no doubt be Taylor Swift's re-recorded version of her fifth studio album “1989.” Coming out nine years after its original release date on Oct. 27, fans will be able to hear the reimagined tracks of famous hits such as “Style,” “Blank Space,” “Wildest Dreams” and “New Romantics.” Arguably one of Swift’s best albums, it’s sure to be a worldwide phenomenon because of its iconic history and its place in pop culture, even nine years later.

“Pink Friday 2” by Nicki Minaj

After releasing the original “Pink Friday” back in 2010, Nicki Minaj is coming out with its sequel Nov. 17 called “Pink Friday 2.” Hopefully, this album will remind Barbz of the rapper’s early days but also combine more innovative production and lyricism that Minaj is known for. With the single “Last Time I Saw You,” it’s already proving to be a new era for the rapper, especially after not releasing new music since “Queen” in 2018.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu