A how-to guide of fall hairstyles, accessories to try

With the orange, red and yellow leaves of fall in full effect, it’s time to ditch your summer style and move on. This means updating the way you style your hair or trying new trends to enhance your daily look. By considering these fall hairstyles and accessories, you will be the talk of Athens for your attention to detail.

From ribbons to updos, here’s a how-to guide of fall hairstyles to try:

Ribbons

If you want to make a subtle change to the way you style your hair, just add in ribbon! You can find the fabric to tie into your ponytail or braid most likely at stores nearby like JOANN Fabric and Crafts or Walmart. All you have to do is pick your favorite color, or style the ribbon with the colors of your outfit, and tie it into your hair! You can even do more than one ribbon, depending on if you do more than one braid or pigtails. It’s simple, affordable and adorable, adding a classic touch reminiscent of eras like the 1950s and 1960s. Ribbons start at $3.99 at JOANN Fabric and Crafts or Walmart at $1.97. 

Curtain bangs

If you already have bangs, this is an easy way to style your hair this fall if you’re looking to switch things up without having to go to the hair salon. Start with parting your bangs down the middle, then brushing both to the right and left sides of your face. Next, use a pair of scissors to trim and cut each part to the length you want. The curtain bangs should act as layers, framing your face and allowing for the longer parts of your hair to be accentuated. These bangs are also great for when you want to put your hair up, allowing you to look like you put effort into your appearance in under five minutes.

Twist braids

Twist braids are another great way to style your hair easily, working for most hair types. However, if you have curly or coarse hair, you may need to straighten or brush it out a little before doing this hairstyle. Perfect for long hair, all you have to do is section your hair into two parts down the middle, twisting them around to create the braid. You can then leave some of the front pieces of your hair out to add some dimension, so it doesn’t look like you slicked back your hair. It’s definitely a more casual look, so it’s ideal to try it on days when you want to look nice for class, but don’t have a ton of time to get ready in the morning.

Updos 

For most people, they don’t want to struggle with styling their hair during a busy week, and an updo is the perfect solution to save time and energy. An updo can be applied to all hair lengths and styles, it just depends on what you want. Some may gravitate towards putting in a ponytail, low or high, while others may want to do a messy bun or ponytail braid. You can even do a half-up, half-down look, especially if your hair is shorter. Usually, updos stay in all day, and they don’t get in the way of your look. They also add more elements to your fall outfits, making people see all of the features that make you you!

Slicked-back bun

Recently, celebrities like Jasmine Tookes and Hailey Bieber have brought back the slicked-back bun, which is another hairstyle to try this fall. All you need is some hairspray, water, hair gel and a hair tie to complete this look. First, use a brush to slick back your hair, using hair gel and water to tame it. Then, tighten the grip on your hair and use the hair tie to twist your hair into a bun. After, add in any more gel or water if some hair is not sticking down, and then spray with hairspray. This look should stay in all day, and it makes a casual outfit look more sophisticated. You can even pair the hairstyle with cute accessories like gold or silver earrings or barrettes. 

Headbands

While wearing a headband may transport you straight back to elementary school, the hair accessory is actually regaining popularity this fall. Like ribbons, headbands are extremely easy to apply to a fall outfit in mere seconds. You can find headbands anywhere online, and they are priced relatively well. Basically, just match the headband color with the outfit, moving any hair out of your face that tends to get in the way. Any hair type can add this into their daily look, and it looks great with middle parts especially. You can find headbands on Amazon, starting at $6.99. 

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu