Everything to know about Lorde’s upcoming album

Although it's only been two years since Lorde dropped her third studio album, "Solar Power," an homage to summer and figuring out your early 20s, many fans feel like it has been an eternity. With the singer-songwriter recently teasing a new album in the works, many are eager to see what's coming next from Lorde.

Here's everything to know about Lorde's upcoming album:

Feb. 12: Lorde addresses new music coming in the future during an interview

The singer was asked about her next project in an interview with Clem de Pressigny from Ensemble. She said it would be out sometime within the next year or so. Lorde said, "It has taken me quite a while (to start working on it). I mean, I do just take a long time … I do a lot of research, I write a lot down." 

The singer also said she's trying to speed up the process of creating a new album, especially as her fans keep begging for more music from her. 

She said, "You know, it's my intention, it's always my intention, to move as quickly as I f***ing can and then that ends up taking different forms. But this one, I really am trying to. I don't want to wait, you know, so take from that what you will. Anything could happen. Let's see!”

February 2023: Lorde deletes everything off her Instagram

Although fans were appalled that the singer had deleted everything from her previous "Solar Power" era, they were gifted a new post from Lorde herself. Known for having a mysterious social media presence, she posted photos of her swimming at night among dark blue and purple colors. Reminiscent of her "Melodrama" days, fans saw this post as a hint for the singer's next album. However, the caption read: "No, this is not the start of anything out there, just want u to know there's a light inside of me." 

Aug. 11: Lorde performs two unreleased songs at the Boardmasters Festival

On Aug. 11, Lorde returned to the stage to headline the Boardmasters Festival in the UK. During her usual setlist of songs from albums "Pure Heroine," "Melodrama," and "Solar Power," the singer shocked fans when she added two new unreleased songs to the mix. The two tracks titled "Silver Moon" and "Invisible Ink" used her signature heavy synth-pop sounds from her first two albums. 

Aug. 14: Lorde denies new music is on the way

After the live debuts of "Silver Moon" and "Invisible Ink," Lorde's fanbase took to social media to debate what was coming next from the singer. While some fans accused the singer of lying about new music, others were sure the two new songs were from her upcoming project. However, Lorde quickly debunked these rumors, responding to fans on Instagram. She said, "Hahaha, i'm serious literally just decided to set these free from my laptop … but they're not bad, eh … beautiful and fun for fests i thought." 

Sept. 27: Lorde celebrates the 10-year anniversary of "Pure Heroine"

Celebrating the 10-year anniversary of her first critically acclaimed album, "Pure Heroine," Lorde wrote to fans via her monthly newsletter about the project. Reflecting on her time in the music industry, she wrote about the album's formation and how it has inspired her to keep making music. While it focused mostly on the anniversary, she also hinted at future work.

Lorde ended her letter with: "Pure Heroine exists because I had the tiniest inkling of what I've now come to see as one of my guiding principles: that each of us has a handful of songs inside us that are ours, and only ours, to sing. Your specific interests and upbringing and physiology and experiences exist only in you; you are sitting on a gold mine that no one can rob. Whatever that means to you, whatever that statement you were born to make is, I invite you to take a big breath and make it. All my love for another 10 years of all this, and more, and more."

However subtle, there's proof that Lorde is working on something, even if she's not quite ready to share it with the world.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu