Fresh Finds Friday: Sum 41 returns, Ricky Montgomery releases sophomore album

It’s the end of a beautiful week, and you know what the best part of my week is? Listening to new music. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs from the past week that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. 

Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Mornings With You” by Flatland Cavalry, Kaitlin Butts

Put on the kettle, it’s time for a quick cup of Folgers on “Mornings With You.” Texas-based country group Flatland Cavalry is no stranger to the scene with albums such as “Humble Folks,” returning with a little romantic song to preview its upcoming album, “Wandering Star.” Set to release Oct. 27, and featuring lead singer Cleto Cordero’s wife, Kaitlin Butts, “Mornings With You” lyrically shares the raw experience of the start of a new day, and just being in the present moment with the ones you love most. 

“Landmines” by Sum 41

After a long four-year hiatus, the Canadian punk band Sum 41 comes back onto the scene with its new single, “Landmines.” However, the new song also came with some bad news: the band officially announced it will disband after the release of its final album, “Heaven :x: Hell.” Announcing an accompanying tour to celebrate, it’s quite the pop-punk sort of track. Frontman Deryck Whibley said, “When I wrote 'Landmines’ I had no intention of writing an old school pop punk song. It just came out really quickly and I knew right away that this song felt special to me.” The song also features a music video you can watch here as we wait for a formal date announcement for the release of the album.

“I Don’t Want You Anymore” by Cherry Glazerr

Another artist returning after a four-year-hiatus is Cherry Glazerr, who has released her new album, “I Don’t Want You Anymore,” allowing the pitchfork of folk influences to come together with 1990s shoegaze and modern pop music. She came onto the scene with her 2014 album “Haxel Princess” and her 2017 album “Apocalipstick.”  The singer said with the album: “I wanted this album to be just heart and soul. Completely exposed and for it to possess a ‘losing your f*cking sh*t’ vibe.”

“Rick” by Ricky Montgomery

After a seven-year wait, indie singer/songwriter Ricky Montogmery released his sophomore album, “Rick.” Featuring 14 songs, it comes as you’d expect from him: “Very bouncy, energetic songs to sad songs that you’d still vibe to and of course, sad songs that make you bawl your eyes out.” All the vinyl records for this record will be exclusively available at indie record shops you can find here.

“this time” by Jeremy Zucker

Jeremy Zucker, the singer/songwriter very familiar to most pop listeners with singles such as “comethru”, “all the kids are depressed” and “talk is overrated,” returns with something similar on “this time.” All about “an emotional take about someone with a disregard for his feelings,” matched up with his very hushed vocals. The track is also paired with a music video that will surely put a focus on the fans who very much lift Zucker’s spirits.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu