Fun things to do around Athens to get in the fall spirit

With the leaves finally changing and the temperatures soon to drop, autumn has fallen upon Ohio University. But in the constant rush of classes, work and extracurriculars, it's easy to lack anticipation and excitement. Fortunately, Athens and Southeast Ohio have various activities to get into the fall spirit. 

Visit the hiking trails

With places like The Ridges, Strouds Run State Park and Wayne National Forest, all within a short distance of Ohio University, it's easy to find fantastic hiking trails to view the gorgeous fall foliage. The Ridges might be the best bet for those without a car, as it is within walking distance of campus. Many trails in the Ridges take hikers along hillsides with amazing views of the Appalachian mountains and the foliage. 

Get festive at Libby's Pumpkin Patch

Located roughly 20 minutes away from campus is Libby's Pumpkin Patch. It initially was a beef and dairy farm when the Dye family acquired it in the 1860s, but it eventually switched to growing pumpkins, hay and corn. Soon enough, the pumpkin patch began drawing in visitors from all over Southeast Ohio. The farm also offers a corn maze, hay rides, giant slides, food trucks and more, all for $7 in cash and $8 for card. They are open every weekend from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Oct. 29.

Pick produce at the Athens Farmers Market

Ranked No.1 in Ohio, the Athens Farmers Market is a favorite for Athens locals and students alike. It takes place every Wednesday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon under the solar panels at the Athens Community Center. People from all over the area come to the market to sell everything from produce to specialty breads to syrups and jellies. Members of the Athens Art Guild also sell handmade art, ceramics, jewelry and more. 

Learn the local haunted history

With over 200 years of history in Athens and Ohio University, there are bound to be ghost stories. The Ridges allegedly still house several ghosts of patients who never left the former asylum. The West State Street Cemetery is known to be home to a weeping angel statue that sheds tears and flutters its wings. Wilson Hall is notoriously haunted, specifically by the ghosts of two students who died several years apart under mysterious circumstances. Room 428 was sealed off permanently, making it the only dorm in the U.S. to be sealed for paranormal circumstances. But Wilson Hall is not the only haunted dorm. Others like Jefferson Hall, Washington Hall and the Convocation Center have spirits roaming the buildings. 

Enjoy fall drinks from the local coffee shops

Whether you love or hate it, it's pumpkin spice season. All Athens coffee shops offer the flavor in some form and other autumnal coffees and teas in the spirit of the season. Whether you're a loyal Donkey Coffee and Espresso Customer, a Front Room Coffeehouse fan, a Brenen's Coffee Cafe buff, or even just a Starbucks addict, there's a fall drink in store for you.

Take in some of the sights on campus

Students can stay on campus to take in the sights of autumn. With the scenic location of Ohio University and the tree-dotted grounds of campus, places like College Green and Emeriti Park are amazing vantage points to take in some of the gorgeous foliage of Southeast Ohio. 

as589820@ohio.edu

@alicia_szcz