Here are some last-minute Halloween costume ideas

Halloween weekend has already come and gone in Athens, but the initial holiday is still on the horizon. As Halloween Tuesday is quickly approaching, you may need more last-minute costume ideas. These costumes can be found in your closet, or you can buy the supplies at a low cost!

Here are some last-minute costume ideas:

“Men in Black”

“Men in Black” follows the exploits of agents Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) and Jay (Will Smith), who are members of a top-secret organization established to monitor alien activity on Earth. This costume would be simple because all you need is a pair of black pants, a white shirt, a black blazer, a tie and a pair of aviator sunglasses (or any sunglasses). 

Even if someone hasn’t seen the movies, they would know what you are supposed to be. This costume could be done solo or with a group of friends.

Cowboy

Are you looking for a basic costume that requires little to no effort but people would still know what you’re dressed up as? Try dressing up as a cowboy.

This is another simple costume where the materials can be found either in your closet or on a quick trip to the local thrift stores or Walmart. This costume would only require a pair of jeans, a plaid shirt, a bandana and a cowboy hat.  

Ken

“Barbie” is one of the most popular films from the year that is about all of the Barbies in Barbieland, where Stereotypical Barbie (Margot Robbie) experiences an existential crisis and must travel to the human world to discover her true purpose.

Ken would be an easy and fun costume choice and everyone would know what your costume is. The look that you could go for that would not require much shopping (if you don’t already have it in your closet) is the jean outfit. You would just need a pair of jeans and a jean jacket with no sleeves! If you don’t have blonde hair and would like to take the extra step, Walmart is a cost-efficient place to buy a wig.

Barbie

With the idea of Ken, you could pair the costume of Barbie with a friend or a significant other. If you want to go for a look from the movie, the pink plaid dress would be a fun choice if you have something similar in your closet. 

If you do not have anything in your closet that resembles outfits from the movie, you could always go for a simple all-pink outfit! Whether you want to wear a dress, a top and skirt combination or a jumpsuit, if it’s pink, people will know you are Barbie! Like Ken, if you don’t have blonde hair and want to complete the look, Walmart is a great option that is cost-efficient to buy a wig.

Tinker Bell

“Tinker Bell” is a movie about Tink’s origin story before she meets Peter Pan, where she works out her place in Pixie Hollow and struggles with what her “talent” is.

This costume would be an easy last-minute choice with a simple all-green outfit paired with some fairy wings. The outfit could be a dress or a top and skirt combination. If you do not have fairy wings, Walmart and Spirit Halloween are great places to shop.

Princess Leia

The Star Warsfranchise depicts the adventures of characters “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away” across many fictional eras in which humans and aliens co-exist with robots. The original trilogy focuses on Luke Skywalker’s journey to become a Jedi and his struggle with the Imperial agent Darth Vader. Revealed later in the film series, Princess Leia is Luke’s twin. 

This costume would be a great choice if you are a fan of the franchise, and it makes for an easy last-minute costume choice. To achieve this look, you would just need an all-white outfit. To complete the look, put your hair into her iconic space buns, which can be easily done by finding a tutorial online.

Salt and pepper

If you are looking for a basic costume to do with a friend or a significant other, the combination of salt and pepper is a good choice! The costume would require one all-white outfit and one all-black outfit. To complete the look, you would just write “salt” on the white outfit and “pepper” on the black outfit with a marker! 

Boo and Sulley

Boo and Sulley are characters in “Monsters Inc.,” which is about a successful scream-processing factory in the monster world, where scarer James P. Sullivan, aka “Sulley,” is the best scarer. But when Sulley accidentally lets a little human girl, nicknamed Boo, into the monster world, his life turns upside down for him and his best friend, Mike Wazowski. 

This would be a fun costume and is easily recognizable. If you are trying to achieve the look of Sulley, you would just need an all-blue outfit with purple polka dots. For the polka dots, you could do a simple DIY by printing and cutting purple paper and taping them onto your costume. If you are trying to achieve the look for Boo, all you would need is a pink shirt, some purple bottoms and your hair in pigtails. If you can’t find purple bottoms, black bottoms are a good alternative.

Fred and Daphne

If you want to go for a more iconic look for your last-minute Halloween costume, you and a significant other could go as Fred and Daphne from the Scooby-Doofranchise. Scooby-Doo is an American animated cartoon series featuring the adventures of Scooby-Doo, a talking great dane, and his mystery-solving teenage companions.

If you are looking to achieve the look for Fred, all you would need is a white long-sleeved shirt, a pair of jeans and an orange ascot (which could also be an orange bandana). If you are going for Daphne, all you would need is an all-purple outfit and a green ascot (which could also be a green bandana). 

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu