Spending Homecoming Sober

Published October 5, 2023

Spending Homecoming Sober

How to spend Homecoming Weekend sober

By Alexandra Hopkins | For The Post

Widely known as a party school, Ohio University can feel isolating for sober students, especially during events such as Homecoming, and some may find it challenging to stay sober with campus-wide partying.

There are many reasons for choosing to stay sober, but whatever they may be, there is something for everyone to do this Homecoming Week:

Homecoming Parade

A perfect event to stay sober for is OU’s Homecoming Parade. At 10 a.m. this Saturday, the annual event will start on W. Union Street and wind its way around College Green before ending up at the Konneker Alumni Center, where the Marching 110 will perform. This year’s theme is “Bobcat Pride,” so make sure to show up in your favorite OU gear. Anyone can register to join in the parade and it will be livestreamed for those who can’t make it or prefer to stay home!

Homecoming Football Game

Oct. 7 at 3:30 p.m. OU’s football team will play Kent State. The football game will bring in such a lively crowd of students, parents and alums that even sober Bobcats will feel the buzz of excitement throughout the stadium. The halftime show will also be an opportunity to watch OU’s iconic Marching 110 perform.

Yell Like Hell Pep Rally

Thursday from 6 - 8 p.m., Homecoming's most popular event will take place at the Scripps Amphitheater. The Alumni Association will have yard games, a photo booth and live music. The main event begins at 7 p.m. when the Marching 110 performs. Featured will be special guests such as the OU Football team and Rufus.

Food Truck Friday

Since even sober Bobcats get the munchies, finding good food during Homecoming Weekend is a must. Friday from noon to 2 p.m., Athens Food Trucks will stop by the Konneker Alumni Center. Bring a couple of friends and taste test every truck, or meet some furry friends with the Bobcats of the Shelter Dogs.

Homecoming Archives Display

If you’re a history major or are curious about OU’s past Homecomings, the University Archives will have an exhibit available to browse through on the fourth floor of the Alden Library until Oct. 7. Take some friends to look through the historical OU materials including yearbooks, scrapbooks, newspapers, student publications and sports memorabilia.

Spend time exploring Athens

Apart from university-sponsored activities, there are plenty of activities to do around Athens while staying sober. If this is your first time in Athens for Homecoming Weekend or you haven’t had time to explore, this might be the perfect weekend to check out all the nooks and crannies of the beautiful campus. Take a stroll on the bike path, try a new restaurant on Court Street or make plans with someone new.

AUTHOR: ALEXANDRA HOPKINS

EDITOR: GRACE KOENNECKE

COPY EDITOR: ADDIE HEDGES

ILLUSTRATION: EMMA MCADAMS

WEB DEVELOPMENT: TAVIER LESLIE