Ohio took on Indiana in Taft Colosseum Sunday afternoon for the Championship round of the Tri-States Collegiate Hockey League Tournament. Ohio fell 4-3 in double overtime. 

DII Hockey: Ohio falls 4-2 against Bowling Green

Ohio (2-1) struggled in its opening game of the weekend against Bowling Green (5-3) in a 4-2 loss on Friday.

Both teams opened the game slowly in the first period. The Bobcats did a good job of keeping the puck away from their goal in the first period, but couldn’t find any goals of their own. The first would end in a scoreless tie, but Ohio would not take long to respond. 

"Just keep playing our style and get back to the things that we know make it easy for us,” Ohio Head Coach Zach Hill said.

Nikalas Jozefiak would send the puck into the back of the net only one minute and 15 seconds into the second period. The game would become increasingly physical throughout the period. With a Bobcat serving time in the penalty box, the Falcons would take advantage and score on the power play.

By the end of the second period, the two teams were playing a different game from the first period. The third would open with some big hits from both teams. Bowling Green’s Isaac Miller would cross Ohio goalie Matthew Zazon to the ground and push the puck past him to put Bowling Green up 2-1 with just over 15 minutes left in the 3rd period. It wouldn’t take much longer for the Falcons to strike again. Bowling Green’s Luc Kuhr had an assist to Michael Papaioannou with 13 minutes remaining in the game that would help strengthen the lead.

The Falcons' two-goal lead felt momentarily safe, but Ohio would take advantage of a 5-3 situation when a scramble in front of the BG goal led to an Ethan Tamborski goal. The Bobcats fought to get back in the game, but would not be able to. Ohio pulled Zazon from goal but with under a minute to go in the game Bowling Green Defenseman Trey Ziebol stole the puck and scored almost instantly.

“Bowling Green is a great team," Coach Hill said. "We just came in a little slow in the first period, but in the second period, I think we had a really good period there. I know we just got to clean up some things for tomorrow."

@tysonbernath