Ohio University sophomore Xander Danner (25) fights for the puck against Bowling Green University in Bird Arena, Oct.14, 2023.

DII Hockey: Ohio looks to establish itself as a dominant team against Penn State

Throughout the DII hockey season thus far, Ohio (3-1) has looked like it could be one of the ACHA’s most dominant teams, outscoring opponents by three or more goals in all of its wins. 

On the other hand, a middling Penn State team (5-3) is looking to maintain a winning record following the conclusion of this weekend’s two-game series, establishing itself as a team to be reckoned with. Through eight games, the Nittany Lions’ porous defense around the goal has largely been a reason for their up-and-down season. They’ve tried two goalies so far between Josh Ferry and John Seifarth, returning different results.

In terms of raw save percentage, Seifarth seems to have the edge, saving 91.5% of the shots against him in his 178 minutes on the ice, while Ferry has saved at a rate of  63.6% in 305 minutes. The confusion, however, begins when you look beyond that. With Ferry in goal, the Nittany Lions boast a 4-1 record, allowing 12 goals over that span. In contrast, Seifarth has allowed 8 goals over the course of his three games, leading Penn State to a 1-2 record.

While the goalie situation for Penn State will be something to keep tabs on entering this weekend’s series, here’s everything you need to know entering the Bobcats' fifth and sixth games of the season.

Game Information:

Opponent: Penn State (5-3)

Location: Pegula Ice Arena (University Park, Pennsylvania)

Date and Time: Oct. 20, 2023 (9:45 p.m. EST) and Oct. 21, 2023 (8:00 p.m. EST)

Where to Watch: Ohio University Hockey D2 on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/@ohiohockeyd2)

Statistical Leaders:

Total Points: Matthew Knizner (8)

Goals: Knizner (4)

Assists: Nathaniel Schuman (5)

Game-winning goals: Knizner, Sebastian Kiely, Ethan Szymanski, Luke Raymundo, and Schuman (1)

Penalty minutes: Liam Egan (17)

Player to Watch:

Matthew Knizner–As one of the smaller players on the ice, and typically one of the most productive ones, Penn State’s freshman sensation, Knizner is one to watch. He leads the team in total points (8) and goals (4), while being tied for second in assists (4).

At 5’10” and 155 lbs, Knizner is never going to be the largest guy on the ice, but holding him scoreless could be the catalyst for Ohio.

@LoganA_NBA

la486821@ohio.edu