Ohio head coach Tim Albin on Nov. 28. Provided by Ohio Athletics. 

What we learned from the Tim Albin Press Conference

Coming off a rare full-week bye, Ohio Coach Tim Albin spoke with the press for his weekly press conference. Here is what the Post learned in its brief conversation with Albin.

Jacoby Jones injury

Ohio Receiver Jacoby Jones was taken out of Ohio's 38-7 win over Bowling Green with an apparent leg injury. Jones will be out for the rest of the season after undergoing season-ending surgery.

"Jacoby is out for the year with surgery," Albin said. "He's back home with his family with a non-weight-bearing leg injury, and our thoughts and prayers are with him."

Other receivers are stepping up

In the absence of Jones, Ohio will need major contributions from some of its rotational receivers. With receivers like Ty Walton, Miles Cross and Sam Wiglusz available, the Bobcats should have the pieces for a productive offense, according to Albin. Walton, Cross, and Wiglusz all have ten or more receptions for Ohio, and their experience could be important for Ohio the rest of the season.

"I think that's how we spread it around, and it will pay dividends," Albin said. "One of the young guys at the young scrimmage, Khamani Debrow, had a nice week last week. He has not played in a game yet, but he's one the guys that may get some playing time moving forward."

Kent State is still a formidable opponent

In a rare move down the coaching ladder, former Kent State Head Coach Sean Lewis joined Colorado as an offensive coordinator under Deion Sanders. Due to this move, the Golden Flashes understandably have had roster turnover and a bit of a sluggish start offensively. The Golden Flashes have started out the 2023 season 1-4, including 40+ point losses to Fresno State and UCF, despite this, Albin believes the Golden Flashes still present a serious challenge on Saturday.

"I think offensively, they retained enough coaches on offense, they are still Flash fast," Albin said. "I thought just tempo-wise against Miami, on offense you're starting to see it coming together with all the new faces. I think their philosophy is the same."

Ohio receives votes in the coaches poll

Ohio has been showered with awards in praise locally from MAC coaches and media during the team's 4-1 start. On Monday, however, the Bobcats received national recognition when they received two votes in the Coaches' poll. Albin is proud of how the team started and the respect from opposing coaches the team has garnered.

"I think anytime you get the right kind of recognition it just speaks volumes to the program," Albin said. "I'm a pollster and some of those votes were not from Tim Albin."

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu