Ohio forward, Luc Reeve (8) during a game against Adrian at Bird Ice Arena in Athens, Ohio, Oct. 27, 2023.

Hockey: Ohio falls 7-3 to Adrian

Ohio split the wins this weekend as it went head-to-head with Adrian. While Thursday night was an incredible display of talent for Ohio, the team struggled the following night. 

Friday night ended in a win for Adrian with a final score of 7-3. 

Head Coach Lionel Mauron gave his insight on the difference between the game that was played Thursday and what was played Friday. 

“Yesterday we played 60 good minutes and tonight we played 20. And the 40 minutes that we didn’t play, they made us pay for,” Mauron said. “When the time is against us like this, it’s really hard.”

The first goal of the game went to Mathieu Ovaert, who took advantage of the powerplay with 25 seconds left in the first period. With a quiet second, captain Sam Turner scored their second goal later in the period, and the final goal from Collin Felton was scored with 5 minutes left in the game. 

Although Bird played an amazing game the night before, he was pulled from goal about 6 minutes into the second period. From there, Garrett Alderman finished the game, saving 20 of the 22 shots on goal. 

Mauron has faith that the Bobcats will learn from the game and hopes that the team will take key aspects away from Friday night’s game with Adrian. 

“We need more consistency and we need a little more buy-in to our system because when we actually apply what we’ve tried to do, we are a very good team,” Mauron said.

ma417020@ohio.edu