Ohio University first-year, Jaimason Brooker (7), kicks the ball past Central Michigan players at Chessa Field in Athens, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2023.

Soccer: Ohio earns 1-1 draw in a wild finish against Central Michigan

Thursday, Ohio (4-6-4, 2-3-2 Mid-American Conference) took on MAC opponent Central Michigan (2-5-5, 1-4-2) at home in a crucial matchup as the postseason race for the MAC tournament heats up.

The matchup began with the Ohio offense getting a quick start by getting pressure and good opportunities early with two corner kicks and shots-on-goal within the first 15 minutes of the half. 

In the middle of the first half, Central Michigan’s offense began to pick up and apply considerable pressure on the Ohio defense. In the 27th minute, Central Michigan midfielder Megan Scholten found the ball on the rebound from a corner kick to put Ohio in a 1-0 hole early in the match.

Scholten’s early goal to put Central Michigan up 1-0 would be the last shot Central Michigan would manage in the first half as Ohio continued to pick up the defensive intensity. Ohio would also get close to equalizing the match with two corner kicks, both played well by Ohio midfielder Izzi Boyd but neither could not find the back of the net.

Ohio entered the half down 1-0 but had created open opportunities that needed to be capitalized on.

In the second half, Central Michigan was limited to zero shots and zero corner kicks. Ohio’s defense has shown an impressive effort throughout the entire season, but it was an imposing force against Central Michigan led by Ohio defender Maia Soulis, who was on the pitch all 90 minutes of the match.

While the defensive effort picked up out of the half, the Ohio offense also put immense pressure on the Central Michigan defense with plenty of opportunities to even up the match.

The Ohio offense managed to record 15 shots in the game with 10 being in the second half. Even though the offense was creating many good looks on the net as time was winding down, it could not break through the tightened Central Michigan defense.

As the match was nearing its conclusion, it seemed as if Ohio could not quite get a clean look off. But, defender Quintin Tostevin got the ball, turned toward the net and kicked the ball off the body of a Central Michigan defender, which found forward Shae Robertson who got the ball in the back of the net with 36 seconds remaining on the clock.

Ohio forward Shae Robertson had a huge game recording three shots, two on goal and scoring Ohio’s lone goal in thrilling fashion. Ohio forwards Aubrey Rea and Jaimason Brooker and midfielders Izzi Boyd and Carsyn Prigge all had two shots in the match and contributed heavily to Ohio’s offensive attack. 

The match ended in a 1-1 draw, but Ohio’s late-game theatrics will leave the team with positive energy for the rest of the season.

bw327020@ohio.edu