Ohio University football game essentials

Ohio University is now a "football school" according to its winning record and student body, making the football season that much more exciting this fall. However, it’s important to have the essentials on you at a game, or else you’ll severely regret not having these items with you at the moment.

To avoid any discomfort, here’s a list of Ohio University football game essentials:

Sunscreen 

Especially in the summer and early fall, sunscreen is a must to bring to any football game. If you’re fair-skinned, this is also crucial, as the beaming sun is brutal while at Peden Stadium. You can just grab a travel-size bottle, which usually starts at 97 cents, and you’ll ensure that you don’t get fried by the time the game is over. Protecting your skin is also important, and you don’t want to end up in pain from a nasty burn the next day.

Fanny pack

A fanny pack is also another essential that is popular among students because it’s easier to carry than a tote bag. It also is safe to bring into the football game, as security will be checking what you bring into each event. They can hold anything you might need on you at all times, like a phone, wallet or set of keys. You can find cheap fanny packs at Walmart or on Amazon, making them affordable for all students to purchase when they start at $5. 

Lip balm

Chances are you will be screaming your head off for the Bobcats, or will at least be doing a lot of talking throughout the game, so you will definitely end up needing some lip balm. Having chapped lips is one of the worst occurrences to happen to you at a football game, and nobody wants to see how chapped they are. So, do yourself a favor and buy some chapstick. Chapstick can be found pretty much all around campus and at Walmart for $3.88 and CVS for $4.99.

OU merchandise

Obviously, all students need to have at least one clothing item that is OU-related for the football game, or else you’re just not showing school spirit. You can either wear one you already own or borrow a friend’s, mixing and matching colors with your peers for each game. You can also wear accessories like green and white ribbons or grab some face stickers to amplify your look. If you’re struggling to find something to wear, check out the College Book Store, 50 S. Court St., or The Bobcat Fanstore, 30 N. Court St., for new options. The College Book Store has sweatshirts starting at $18, while shirts at The Bobcat Fanstore range from $20 to $40.

Raincoat or umbrella

Sadly, it does tend to rain unexpectedly at football games, so it’s better to always be safe than sorry by bringing a raincoat or umbrella. All students hate getting wet, and it’s not fun when you’re sitting at a game having been soaked for hours. Instead, come prepared with one of these items, especially before you roll up to Athens for a new school year. Luckily, umbrellas are easy to find online, particularly on sites like Amazon and in-store at Walmart. Prices can range from $7 to $20 on both sites. Meanwhile, a raincoat can just be one you have from home or one that you choose to buy, which you can also find at The College Book Store or The Bobcat Fanstore.

Good walking shoes

Football games are the ideal time to have good walking shoes and are most likely the ones you will wear going out on a regular basis. Make sure to have a pair of shoes that are comfortable and you know you can get dirty. Chances are you will be wearing these shoes down for several months, and football games always require a lot of walking, standing and moving around. You can find affordable options for shoes on sites like Adidas for $43 and Amazon for $26. 

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu