OU hockey forward Jack Glen (24) wins a faceoff againt West Virginia on Sep 30, 2023

Hockey: Scott Bird takes first flight at the Bird

With the first weekend of its season closing with two triumphant wins against West Virginia, Ohio has been proving its skills on the ice as they come back from the offseason.

Their 5-1 win on Saturday night highlighted the Bobcat’s new talent that they are bringing to the team this season. 

Scott Bird, rookie from Monroe, MI, played his first game in goal with the Bobcats. 

Head Coach Lionel Mauron was excited to have Bird on the ice and anticipated that he would play as well as he did. 

“He’s looking really good these past few weeks, actually, in both the games that he played, he didn’t give up one,” Mauron said. “He’s confident, he can play the puck really well and we have four very good goalies on the roster and we want to use them.”

The Bobcats have three veteran goalies on their roster this season, who have all displayed solid performances in past years. Bird, who is a sophomore, is the fourth addition and the youngest.

“It was a weight lifted off my shoulders,” Bird said. “A lot of times, I’m coming to a new school, (I) didn’t get to play a whole ton, and to hit the ground running I guess it felt really good to get here and get the team behind me to help me out to get a win like this.”

Bird played his freshman season at Liberty University, then was later drafted to the Bobcats during the offseason. 

“It’s quite a change from Liberty, but I’ve really embraced it,” Bird said. “I’m really happy to be here and it feels like a home.”

Between the numerous impressive saves he made and the confidence Coach Mauron has in him, it’s clear that he’s fit to be a Bobcat.

ma417020@ohio.edu