Bleeding green

Published October 5, 2023

Bleeding green

Absolutely Abby: Bobcat blood does run thicker

By Abby Waechter | For The Post

Ihad a student in my learning community ask me if Ohio University’s Homecoming was “worth staying in Athens for.” Immediately, I answered “Yes!” As a seasoned sophomore, I thought “How is that even a question?”

I think Homecoming Weekend at OU is one of the best weekends of the semester and everyone should push themselves to attend at least one of the weekend’s festivities. Whether it is the pep rally, the parade, the football game or the infamous get-togethers beforehand, Homecoming is worth staying in Athens for.

As I was reflecting on my last Homecoming experience, I realized that everything seemed to fall into place for me that weekend. It was the first time I branched out from my high school friends and paved the way for deeper connections, and it was also the first time I felt genuinely proud to attend OU.

For all new students, freshmen and transfers alike, Homecoming is the first weekend you will see just how thick Bobcat blood is. I remember sitting in my first-year seminars, listening to my professors preach about alum networks and reiterating “Bobcats help Bobcats” over and over again; for me, all were empty promises until Homecoming Weekend.

Homecoming Weekend attracts hundreds of alums, all of whom have the ability to connect you in some way to where you want to go. Alums will visit past clubs they were in, their old sports teams and most definitely be at the Homecoming parade to see the Marching 110 Alumni Band’s performance.

As cheesy as it may sound, Bobcat blood does run thicker. Bobcats do care for Bobcats.

In all of my run-ins with OU alums, they were willing to speak with me regarding my future and wanted to help me get there. During my internship, I worked for a large insurance company in Cincinnati. I knew there wouldn’t be a lot of OU alums, but there were bound to be some. Almost all of the Bobcats sought me out to say, “hello” within my first week, and I recently had the opportunity to reconnect with some at a career fair last week. Not all universities are like that.

I urge everyone to take advantage of the opportunities that Homecoming brings and actually talk to people. Alums want to talk to you, they want to hear about your accomplishments and failures, and they want to help you.

Business aside, Homecoming is supposed to be fun. Have fun this weekend, and do something you have never done before. Attend the parade, yell like hell at the pep rally and go to the football game, but do not leave Athens during Homecoming Weekend.

I am proud to call OU my home, and I can’t wait to welcome home the Bobcats that came before us this weekend.

Abby Waechter is a sophomore studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Have something to say? Email Abby at aw087421@ohio.edu or tweet her @AbbyWaechter.

AUTHOR: Abby Waechter

EDITOR: Tate Raub

COPY EDITOR: Addie Hedges

PHOTOGRAPHY: Jesse Jarrold-Grapes

WEB DEVELOPMENT: Tavier Leslie