Bowlby’s Breakdown: Women’s sports closer to respect they deserve

First 92,003 people showed up to watch a Nebraska Women’s volleyball match. Then, this past weekend 55,646 people attended an Iowa Women’s basketball game. Wednesday night, the WNBA Finals set a single-game ticket sales record. Finally, after a long period of unfair treatment, women’s sports are getting the appreciation they deserve.

I think it’s monotonous to provide examples of the disparity in the treatment of women’s athletics versus men’s. There is no denying that there is a clear discrepancy between how the two are treated. 

However, after more successes, women’s sports have finally started to get the same appreciation as men’s sports. Over 90,000 people showing up to watch a volleyball match and over 55,000 people watching an exhibition basketball game outdoors prove this.

There is a buzz around women’s sports that asks, “What is going to happen next?"

While there have been some considerable strides made in recent months, there is still a long way to go for complete equality. The sad truth is that despite the success and prevalence of women's sports, the gap between what they receive and what men’s sports receive is stark.

The barriers keeping women’s sports from being given the respect they deserve on par with their counterparts haven’t suddenly disappeared. They are still hindered by the same stereotypes that have held them back for decades: a lack of funding and exposure.

Regardless, these individual achievements continue to chip away at the wall between the two worlds of men’s and women’s sports. The magnitude of the Iowa basketball game and Nebraska volleyball match are pivotal in helping push toward a more equal playing field.

With so many people seeing what is happening, there is more media coverage, more money flowing through the programs and maybe more importantly, adequate opportunities for the athletes to show off what they can do.

Another positive is that the Iowa basketball game was an exhibition game. What was originally planned as a regular tuneup before the season became one of the most important events for the sport.

The future is bright and there are plenty of reasons to be excited about what is to come. For right now, the key is to keep building on momentum. Organizations have to find ways to attract fans through larger events, such as those previously mentioned. 

Even with a complicated road ahead, the current positives should be cherished and used to find even more ways to continue pushing forward.

Andrew Bowlby is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of  The Post. Want to share your thoughts about the column? Let Andrew know by tweeting him @andrew_bowlby.