Charlie’s Crossover: NBA awards, Finals prediction

It is that time of fall. The NFL and College Football seasons are in full swing, MLB is getting ready to start the World Series, and the NHL has recently begun another season. The NBA is no different, and with the season also tipping off tonight, there is no better time to go over my awards and NBA Finals predictions. 

Rookie of the Year: Victor Wembanyama

There is no need to overthink this pick. The most hyped and anticipated prospect since LeBron James has absolutely put his skillset on full display this pre-season. Wembanyama has shown all facets of his game, especially his other-worldly defensive range and ability. It has gotten to the point where some players didn’t even attempt to challenge him at the rim to score. 

Wembanyama’s length also allows him to contest jump shots that should be wide-open if it was anyone else closing out. He will be the premier player on a young Spurs team that will have a chance to surprise people with a core of Wembanyama, Devin Vassell, and Jeremy Sochan. Not to mention he will be coached by arguably the greatest to ever do it, Greg Popovich. The answer is easy: it’s Wembanyama. 

Defensive Player of the Year: Evan Mobley 

There are many worthy candidates for this award, including, but not limited to, the reigning DPOY Jaren Jackson Jr., Nets’ anchor Nic Claxton, and Draymond Green’s importance to the Warriors defense will always earn him a mention. However, my pick is Mobley. 

Coming off a disappointing playoff debut against the Knicks, some have soured on the idea of Mobley becoming the best player on a championship team. While his offensive game could be a year or two away, he has without a doubt arrived as one of the best defensive players in the league. He led the league in defensive win shares with a 4.8 and finished 3rd in DPOY voting a year prior, and I think this will be his true breakout year that ends with him winning the award. 

Sixth Man of the Year: Malik Monk

Sixth Man of the Year is a confusing award, to say the least. The award goes to the most prolific bench player of the season and the norm for the award is an immensely talented guard whose role on a winning team is to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Malik Monk meets all the criteria. Monk has improved every year of his career, and I expect him to keep following that trend. He possesses every trait that previous winners have had: immense confidence, a consistent outside shot and high-end athleticism. His play off the bench was a key reason the Kings took the defending champion Warriors to seven games in the first round of the playoffs. His play will be key again to a team that will look to keep improving on their playoff season a year ago. 

Most Improved Player: Franz Wagner

The Orlando Magic are one of the league’s most intriguing rebuilds, and along with Paolo Banchero, Franz Wagner is the go-to guy on this young Magic squad. Wagner has been productive since being drafted by the Magic, and last year saw a significant sophomore season jump. All of his numbers increased from his rookie year including his points per game which jumped to 18.6. The Magic are in a prime position to take their rebuild to the next level and make a push for the play-in and a corresponding 7-8 seed. If that happens Wagner will need to take another jump in his play and be in consideration for MIP. 

Coach of the Year: Mark Daigneault

The Oklahoma City Thunder are the sexy new team that everybody expects to take a major leap, and for good reason. The core of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jalen Williams, Josh Giddey, and now the addition of last year’s second overall pick Chet Holmgren is young, talented, and ready to make the playoffs after last season ended in the play-in tournament. Head Coach Mark Daigneault is just as much of a catalyst as anyone else on the Thunder roster for their recent and future success. Daignaeult coached the Thunder to the 14th-ranked defense in the NBA last year without a legitimate center on the roster. With the addition of Chet Holmgren as the team's defensive anchor, expect the defense to be top-10 and the Thunder to make the postseason. 

Most Valuable Player: Nikola Jokic

Nikola Jokic is the best player in the world on the best team in the world, making this another award that I’m not going to overthink. Any doubters of Jokic’s ability were completely silenced during his playoff run that ultimately led the Nuggets to their first NBA title. Jokic has already collected two MVPs and was in the running for a third last year. He has the combination of astounding numbers to accompany team success, a recipe that will always have you contending for the award. I expect this year to be no different and will result in Jokic taking home his third MVP. 

Finals Prediction: Celtics over Lakers

A historic NBA rivalry will be brought back to life this season, and I think the Celtics will earn title #18. The offseason additions of Jrue Holiday and Kristaps Porzingus are needle movers for me, not to mention the league’s best tandem of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. As for the Lakers, the story is about the health of LeBron James and Anthony Davis. If they can make it through the playoffs healthy I expect them to get back to the finals. In the end, I see Boston finally claiming their elusive first title of the Tatum era. 

These predictions are not concrete locks, and definitely should not be used as a gambling guide, just a fan's point of view and opinions. 

Charlie Fadel is a freshman at OU studying Journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Charlie know by emailing or tweeting him at @CharlieFadel or cf111322@ohio.edu