Homecoming from home

Published October 5, 2023

Homecoming from home

A low-key homecoming is just as fun as going all out

By Mia Ashby | For The Post

Homecoming Week: The week for welcoming back alums, rejoicing and celebrating at a football game, bustling parties and good vibes.

However, some students don’t enjoy sweating and screaming at football games. With midterms coming up, other Bobcats may be too tied up with assignments to have time to get out for the celebration.

It seems like most of the time we don’t think about people who want to celebrate but can’t. Those who are too nervous or easily overwhelmed may also want to celebrate – or at least show their support from the sidelines – but unfortunately, there aren’t many other options available.

Crowds seem to be part of the mainstream homecoming experience no matter where you look. The entire history of Homecoming is a gathering of people, a celebration of incoming students and alums and a way to show support for the university. People are seemingly meant to be together, whether they are crammed into hard stadium seats or shoulder-to-shoulder in snug bars.

Even during the parade, there are people lined up close to one another to march in the streets before the celebration starts. This loud, fast-paced and overwhelming environment is many introverts’ nightmare.

So, what can people still do to celebrate Homecoming from the outside?

One of the best ways for someone to still indulge in school spirit is by watching films. Films about colleges are abundant, and there are plenty of movies that try to delve into the lives of college students and show the hectic world of university life from the comfort of your bed.

Some of the most well-known examples that come to mind are “Spring Breakers,” “Pitch Perfect” and “Legally Blonde,” however, there are a few more that you may not have seen or heard of before. Those films would be perfect to watch while the scream of school pride echoes across campus this weekend.

To enjoy the thrill of marching band without the noise, consider checking out “Drumline” from 2002. It’s a perfect film about the work marching bands endure, and how one man leads his band to become the best in the country. For horror connoisseurs, consider adding “Sorority Row” from 2009 to your list. It’s a staple slasher flick with plenty of fun scares and a perfect atmosphere to reflect that on-campus feel.

Perhaps the best option is “Everybody Wants Some!!” from 2016. It perfectly demonstrates what it’s like being an incoming freshman navigating the world before Homecoming. While it’s a caricature of “ladies' men” and does explore typical stereotypes of college kids' behavior, it’s still an amazingly fun watch from start to finish. It will make you feel like you’re the life of the party, even if you’re not out celebrating.

Consider checking those films out if you don’t think you’ll be indulging in the campus celebrations. Hopefully, those films will give you plenty of entertainment and make you feel included because, of course, you don’t have to be sweating and yelling in a crowd of people to show your school spirit.

Mia Ashby is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Mia by emailing her at ma237419@ohio.edu.

AUTHOR: Mia Ashby

EDITOR: Meg Diehl

COPY EDITOR: Tre Spencer

WEB DEVELOPMENT: Tavier Leslie