Kickin’ with Kyra: Costumes I expect to see for Halloween 2023

There are many expected Halloween costumes this year due to popular films and trends in pop culture. I am anxiously awaiting to see a combination of one-of-a-kind and to-be-expected costumes this Halloween. From Barbie to Wednesday Addams, I predict there will be many movie characters and pop stars walking the streets of Athens.

Being the highest-earning Warner Bros. production of all time, “Barbie” costumes will undoubtedly be seen in many forms. Every girl wants to be Barbie, and Halloween is the perfect opportunity for these dreams to come true. I am excited to see people dress as different Barbies and their inspirations for the outfits. I also hope to see a few Kens walking around with the Barbies.

Taylor Swift is at her peak, and I think it will be amplified when Halloween arrives. The concert outfits for “The Eras Tour” have already been as complex as Halloween costumes to put together. I expect to see all of Swift’s different outfits from each of her shows out and about this Oct. 31. Plus, there are so many ways to be Swift, with eras ranging from “Fearless” to “reputation” to “folklore.”

Back to the movies, “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” was released in 2023 as well. This film brought enough nostalgia to inspire people to think about the characters separately from the games and in the context of a Halloween costume – I expect to see many of the characters outside. Overalls paired with red or green tops are classic outfits for Mario and Luigi. A pink two-piece set or dress could also be worn for Princess Peach, and the same goes for Princess Daisy with a swap of pink for orange. There are a lot of simple ways to put these costumes together, and they are excellent options for a group costume.

In late November 2022, the television series “Wednesday” was released. The show brought back interest in “The Addams Family,” but sadly released after Halloween had already passed. This means many fans of the show will want to make up for a lost costume, and I anticipate a lot of Wednesday Addams, Enid Sinclairs and duos dressed as the pair of unlikely best friends.

Last but definitely not least is “The Little Mermaid.” The live-action movie, which was released May 26, brought new takes on the classic tale, but overall brought beautiful nostalgia to the audience. I think this movie will resurface the classic princess costumes. Not only will Ariel and the characters from “The Little Mermaid” be seen, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see many other Disney princesses waltzing down Court Street this Halloween. 

Overall, late 2022 and all of 2023 have caused a lot of inspiration when it comes to costumes. As we have watched celebrities grow in fame and our favorite characters on the big screen, this year’s Halloween costumes will allow people to dress as many variations of the icons they wish to be.

Kyra Dapore is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu.